still have the engine stumble

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:39 PM

That car has an O2 sensor, it may be grounded(internally) to read rich and make ECM lean the system out. I think it is just a single wire O2 sensor so if still can be found for AGE, should not cost very much. They were notorious for running the systems lean anyway when new for emission reasons of the day!

Old 09-11-2017, 07:44 PM

well that may be but the mpg i 24 and that is what some said i should be getting. however changing that may be a good idea even thou it has few miles it could have went bed from setting for season after season. so i will change it out for s&g . thanks for that idea. i did a compression and all cylinders are 150 psi throttle closed. i looked down into the cylinders and the piston tops are black not white which would tell me they are real lean. but then again lean may not make piston tops gray. i will be changing the injector because the tps checkout out with the numbers according to a you tube test. and i will do the 02 sensor. it is not setting any code but then again it may not be. thanks for the help. bp

Old 09-12-2017, 05:36 AM

You have gotten my attention on getting this ride running correctly due to its age and yet low miles! From all you have said, It sounds like the motor mechanicals are all good and the body can't be too far off either to put such effort into it!
Most ALL of my rides are more than 10 years old and my fav. is my 98 model year Avenger coupe. NY rust is the biggest killer of ALL older cars here, not mechanical failures!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:37 AM

yes the car is in great shape mechanical and body. it runs good but for that stumble. at corners it idles and then a misfire and then ok and then a misfire, that happens at irregular intervals and the other day i thought it was going to stop because it has multiple misfires, to help ward of the engine stopping i raised the idle stop to 1000 rpm. also while just driving the road at steady speeds you can feel a misfire now and then the same scenario seldom or often some kind of algorithm i guess. the driving would not be a bother but the stops i do not need it stalling out just as i hit the gas. thanks

Old 09-12-2017, 09:39 AM

You really ought to get the fuel pressure testing done. could have a higher than normal resistance fuel pump. It is rotary pump and could have a dying flat spot to pump. Just a thought from low miles and lack of constant use. Better to test than throw parts. The ECM on those were NOT near as capable as later years for assisting in diagnostics!

Old 09-16-2017, 12:47 PM

ok here is an update. today i asked a question on the yahoo lebaron groups and now i will ask it here and then give my testing results.
i asked if a coil can cause the occasional misfire. i have had coil fail and intermittent but never misfire. had them run stop run. run col stop hot. rnu cold stop then run good.

today i changed the coil from my old corvair engine that coil was a 12 volt coil and i measured 12 volts when engine ran at + and 5 volts at - . but then it stumbled bad you could tell right of the bat, then engine stopped. i got code 52 i cleared code and put old coil in and the occasional stumble returned. engine stayed running and no codes.

so the test coil is bad for this car anyway ran good in the corvair but this may answer my original question as coils can make a stumble.

so after the engine stopped i could restart it but my guess is it would just stall out again if left running. so now i believe i may be looking at a new coil for the next step it troubleshooting. any other ideas? thanks bp.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:26 AM

hi thank you for your useful thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:18 AM

thanks for the reply. i have not yet worked on it because here it is winter with snow on the ground. so the car is sleeping. im april i will wake it up and get another coil and do that test one more time. i will take the coil out of my corvair again but this is a different coil than the last one i tested it with. this one is a flame thrower from pertronix and it has plenty of power. anyway thanks bp.