300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

1995 LHS issues (questions)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Default 1995 LHS issues (questions)

Hi guys, I am completely new to the Chrysler world. I spent $1,000.00 on a white LHS with 125,000 miles. Interior looks great and body is in decent condition. I took the car out for a test drive and there were no issues. After purchasing the car and bringing it home I went out and bought some oil to put into it. I put in 10-40w..After doing that I drove to the gas station and on my way there the engine light kicked on and then the car started to overheat. When I got it back home I checked the coolant and it was low so I added it to the fill line. I had to drive the car to my uncles to get the other car to use for work and the temp on the car did not move. So he drove it around and it did not move as well but when he let it set in the driveway it over heated...Also noticing that the fan did not start either. Obviously the fan needs to be replaced.

My question is...Why after me putting in oil did this all of a sudden happen? I was told maybe 10-40w was helping the engine overheat?? What do you recommend for oil? Second, what do you suggest or think could be causing the overheat? Would the fan NOT kicking in cause the temp to overheat like that?? I would think it could be a thermostat? What is the install of a thermostat like on these cars? Time consuming? My uncle very mechanical on Chevys so he is not familiar with the Chryslers. I LOVE this car and want to get this issued fixed.

Oh ya, also..When I put the car in reverse and push on the gas, there is a "thunking" noise while I am in reverse and foot is on the gas. What's causing this?

THank you guys in advanced for your help! I hope to learn a lot from this forum and share my knowledge.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:35 PM

So an update....We changed the thermostat and thermostat housing and it was still overheating. Then we decided to look at the relay/fuses and we took the relay for the fuel pump and put it in the spot for the fan..And low and behold the fan came on and it was stopped overheating. So we called it a day. This morning I go to buy a new relay for the fan and put the fuel pump relay back in its spot and the car wont start..So then we put our foot on the accelerator and it starts making these weird noises and white smoke every where!! And this nasty smell. We floor it a little bit and after about 15 minutes it starts to sound normal and works normal. Great! So we get into the car to take for a little drive and I notice it's leaking fluid under the car..Open the hood and the overflow is pouring out fluid. Ugh! THEN finally the car temp goes up to H. So Im assuming its a head gasket issue now. UGH