300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Engine oil ...what type???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Default Engine oil ...what type???

Hello to all fellow Concorde and Concored LXI owners,
Im fairly new to this forum and I have a question to ask.... My 1997 Concord LXI has 123.000 K and runs great,
it was my dads and he drove it to work and took it on vacation twice a year and shopping on weekends and (gargage kept) I can vouche for that.I bought it from him last week.Should I use synthetic engine oil or standard SAE oil?? My dad used regular SAE in it.Would it be a benefit to use synthetic oil or not?Also I want to change the spark plugs and I saw an ad for some platinum plugs that are supposed to give a 12% increase in mileage, cleaner burn and give a boost in power.
My question is...are these ad's truthful or are they just money wasters?If anyone can shed any light on this for me I would apprieciate it .

Regards,
Pauli

Old 11-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Default RE: Engine oil ...what type???

either not too many people are interested in this forum or they dont care to reply to questions......lol

Old 11-11-2006, 06:31 PM

I asked questions before on this forum, i have a 97 concorde lxi, and received no replies. I went over to the dodge forum under the intrepid fist generation, same drivetrain and engines, and my questions were answered a lot faster. i recommend trying that. As for oil, my dad preaches the synthetic oils, especially in high milage cars, that is all he'll use. i use synthetic. as for the plugs, i have no clue if the add is right or wrong.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:50 AM

ok about the oil

synthetic oil is very good... specially that one with 10 to 40 grade..

but also 20 to 50 normal SAE oil is good and there is no big diffrence between them.

about the spark plugs...I used that one with platiunum ...the engine starts to heat up and no diffrence in fuel consumption or car acceleration...

so i returend back to the original spark plugs from the dealer.
my car is concorde limited...2002..

thanks

Old 12-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

what ever u people do as far as spark plugs are do not use any thing but Champion or if called for NGK in chrysler,jeep ,dodge u are asking for trouble.
The resistance in the plugs are tuned for the coils and computers in our cars dont mess with aftermarket plugs. I cant tell u how many times i get check engine lights or rouns like crap ot bad gas mileage from aftermarket plugs.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:21 PM

I agree with chrysler tech...thanks

Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 PM

I always use Bosch quad platinum spark plugs, I noticed performance boost and I haven't had any problem with them. I would recommend Bosch or Champion sparks and Royal Purple Synthetic.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Champion ONLY

Old 03-03-2007, 09:37 PM

Hahahahahaha BOSH plugs are a JOKE! I use Denso's Iridium plugs in the Intrepid with the 2.7L and no problems. (this is after I changed the coils with the multiple cylinder misfire) The Platnum champions were the first try for the sucker.

As far as synthetic vs petrolium goes, synthetic is better, but it just depends on what are you looking for? If you're just looking for oil to get you from point A to point B petrolium is your best bet. Sythetic oil is not recomended for high milage engines since the detergents are so high, if there is a hole and sludge is sealing it, it will disolve the sluge and reveal a leak. Granted, it does keep the motor cleaner, reduces ware and tare, "increases" gas milage, runs it cooler, give you higher oil pressure (most the time), it is a better oil than petrolium. I would stick to 5w-30 weight using synthetic since the viscosity doesn't change with temp. 0W20 will give you better gas milage, and 20w50 would give you higher oil pressure, less fuel dilusion and less gas milage, but better oil coverage. So the difference between a $15 oil change or a $45 oil change (doing it yourself) is up to you.

P.S. I use nothing but Royal Purple

Old 03-06-2007, 02:01 AM
ace

Prob be best if you kept using what your dad used it worked for him right? If you are going to go synthetic then try and goto a high milage sythentic oil made for high mile cars. As far as plugs champion are the dcx recommended but you should not vary from the type of plug and by that i mean dont get the wrong size get your plug number off the plug and take that in to get a replacement they can cross reference those at a parts store but if you have platnum plugs in it DO NOT degrade it by getting chea non platnum plugs

Quick Reply: Engine oil ...what type???