Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

96 JX Convertible lighter fuse location?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Default 96 JX Convertible lighter fuse location?

There's no power to the lighter, and I've checked all the 20 Amp & under fuses in the fuse box . . . is there another fuse box I'm missing? In-line somewhere? Tried following the cable back a ways and could not find an in-line fuse either. Sorry if this has been covered - JR in OH

Old 12-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Default RE: 96 JX Convertible lighter fuse location?

Did you check the power distribution center under the hood? There are fuses in there. The underside of the cover may provide clues as to what each fuse does. Your owners manual, if you have one,should tell you where the fuse is.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:42 PM

There are two fuse panels in the Sebring convertibles. One is called the Power Distribution Center (PDC) and is under the hood, to the right of the latch. The far end of it has a red pull cover for the positive Jump Start connection. This is the main power hub for the engine and transmission with a few connections to the second fuse panel.

The second fuse panel, called the Junction Block (JB and probably where your blown fuse is) is in the end of the dash on the driver's side. It is accessible by opening the driver's door, pull the cover off the end of the dash. It should just pop right off.

Both covers have their respective fuses and the circuits served embossed on the inside cover. On my JXi the lighter was fused with the horn and the Infinity amp (something you may not have with the JX). I think mine was a 10 amp but it has the amp load on it. Your's may be different.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: bandaide
The second fuse panel, called the Junction Block (JB and probably where your blown fuse is) is in the end of the dash on the driver's side. It is accessible by opening the driver's door, pull the cover off the end of the dash. It should just pop right off.

Both covers have their respective fuses and the circuits served embossed on the inside cover. On my JXi the lighter was fused with the horn and the Infinity amp (something you may not have with the JX). I think mine was a 10 amp but it has the amp load on it. Yours may be different.
Thanks for the tip - I had checked the one under the hood and 1) no fuse says "lighter", and 2) every fuse I pulled and checked 20 amps & below was fine.

I looked at the ones on the side of the dash, and same deal. I have a 20A fuse for "HORNS RADIO AMP" but it is fine, at least visually. I will check it with a meter. My horn works but I think it's on another fuse. The rest of them are all for things that are working (wipers, headlamps, etc.).

Anyone point me to a decent manual for this model? The "Haynes" one from the auto parts store isn't cutting it for some of this wiring stuff, like "which color is the negative speaker wire".

Thx
JR in OH

Old 12-13-2008, 02:02 PM

I've been watching on e-bay for a Factory Service Manual for my 99. That's going to be the best manual since it's specific to your chassis and year. It's published for Chrysler repair shops but they turn up frequently for sale. A complete set is multiple volumes but the fattest one is the basics.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Fuse 8 20 amp left side of dash for the horns if your horns still work then all of that is good then U have a bad light base or wire issue from the junction block to the lighter assembly.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:51 PM

ORIGINAL: bandaide

I've been watching on e-bay for a Factory Service Manual for my 99.
Like this one? I guess they are not cheap . . . market price c. $65?

Thx
JR in OH

Old 12-14-2008, 08:49 PM

That would be the one. I seem to remember these come closer to $90 or $100 new. The way I look at it, $65.00 is probably 1 hour of a mechanic's time. And with a 9 year old car, you're gonna have lots of hours of mechanic's time.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: CHRYSLER TECH

Fuse 8 20 amp left side of dash for the horns if your horns still work then all of that is good then U have a bad light base or wire issue from the junction block to the lighter assembly.
Replaced lighter and all is well. Thanks.
JR in OH