Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

convertible top leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:41 PM
Default convertible top leak

My 2001 Sebring convertible top was not leaking before I changed the top.. I personally replaced the top and back window. When I was attaching the header, I noticed holes like a tube down each windshield pillar. It seemed to be full of debris. I was only able to dig out an inch or so down. I screwed on new tack strip on the front of the top. Now there is a leak where the front door glass, the windshield pillar and the top meet on the passenger side. I have adjusted the "J" hook all the way as far tight as the threads go. It sometimes leaks on the driver's side in the same place, but not always. First off should I fill those tubes in the windshield pillar back up and, if so, with what? Also any ideas what might need to be done to fix the leak(s)? My wife drives the car a lot and I hear about the leak ever y time it rains. And to be honest it does need to be fixed. Thanks, George

Old 08-16-2016, 09:16 AM

There are "drain" passages running inside the weatherstrip that seals the back edge of the A pillar. There is a "gutter" that runs along the top of the windshield that seems to run to a depression at each end of the header at the A pillar, but on mine, I can't see that those depressions actually drain out anywhere. It looks like they would fill up and overflow into the previously mentioned drains down the A pillar weather strip. That looks like an iffy proposition, though.

If you can locate a similar vehicle, you might want to ask if you can inspect it carefully to make sure all your weatherstrips are present and properly aligned. The top was basically the same from 1996 through 2006.
Another possibility is that the J hooks are too tight and are causing the top to bow up in the middle allowing water to come in there, and run to the sides down that gutter. Convertible top installation is as much art as science. If you get to the point where you want some professional help, don't go to a dealership where they might deal with one top every year, go to a place that specializes in convertible top installations and does it all day every day.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Default Convertible top leak.

Thanks again DCotter,
I do have a 2002 Sebring LXi as well as the '01 LX. I should've thought to check it. Your explanation of the drains in the weatherstrip and header have helped a lot. Thanks again. George