Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Engine bottom protection

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:50 AM
Default Engine bottom protection

Hi guys, I was thinking is there a chance to get the protection for engine from dirt. Heres what I am talking about:

Its just some picture I found on the Net, but I guess every car should have that bottom protection plastic. Could it be that Sebring Coupe with 3 l engine made in 2001 should also have this protection ? I would like to put it on my car as there are no such thing

Old 02-16-2013, 09:25 AM

I think the rationale for that piece is to improve gas mileage via better aerodynamics. It has some drawbacks:
It's going to make a routine oil change a more difficult proposition if you have to remove it to get to the drain plug and filter.
It's going to collect crap that falls on it from above.
It's going to make simple inspections more difficult.
It's going to restrict air flow through the engine compartment and thus hinder cooling.

If it was a good idea you would have thought somebody would have done it years ago.

You are not going to find one to fit your car. If you want to tool up a production line and go into business making them, then have at it. There's probably a potential market of dozens that you could reach.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:05 PM

I agree but only with one point about cooling. All other bothers only lazy people... Maybe it was done years ago, maybe it was with that protection when going out of the factory. I don't know that and it is not rare that people who are selling cars taking out catalytic converters, those protections, various additional electronics just to squeeze more money from the car. So, if it is not intended to be according to manufacturer then its OK, but I purchased not a new car... I dont want to go into production, I thing in my country there are only several Sebring coupes, not a big market I want it to protect the engine from dirt and thats it. We have companies producing those things, prices are not big - 100-250 USD.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 PM

Your car was not built with that part.

I owned my Sebring sedan since new and it never had such a thing nor is there any mention of it in any shop manual. I've never seen them on coupes either.

I have a Mercury Milan now. It has one. They call it the underbody shield. The engine will still get dirty as most dirt comes in through the grille and radiator in the form of dust that then settles on the engine and mixes with any oil film that happens to be there.

You'll be able to clean the thing off easily by driving through a field with tall wet grass. ;-)

Old 02-17-2013, 01:50 PM

Thank you for the perfect answer, just what I wanted.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 AM
Banned

With the parking brake applied you are going to have a constant friction and drag on your rear wheels rotors or drums. This will burn the e-brake pads right off if the brake is set tight and you fail to realize it is set. Once the you start moving the brakes will start building up heat in the system andactuall causing drag on all four wheels due to the brake fluid getting hotter by the second, So now not only are your rear pads wearing down, your fronts will also startapplyingg and wearing down. If this goes on long enough not only will your brake pads come apart but the heat will turn your wheel bearing grease to oil, it will run out and you could burnt the wheel bearings out as well as burning your brake pads off. Bottom line is you can cause your self some serious problems. If you have ever done this and you have smelled a foul odor inside your carafter-wardss then you have had your brakes very hot and should have them checked out. On the other hand if you caught them before the odor then they probably didn`t get hot enough to do any damage. If you E- brakes are working properly they should hold on a hill with your transmission in neutral. Also if you set them tight and try to pull away, it should stall your engine or you should notice an immediate dragging down of the engine RPM and or a slight thumping or bumping coming from your rear wheels where the brake shoes are being over ridden.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM

Whaaa.... t?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Just a spammer. Don't pay any attention. He'll go away eventually.