Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

strange everytime i plug the plug into the sensor on my coolant water outlet my radiator fan stops..

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Default strange everytime i plug the plug into the sensor on my coolant water outlet my radiator fan stops..

does anyone know why when i plug my wire onto my coolant water outlet sensor my radiator fan stop spinning but as soon as i move it my fan starts back up normal, can someone please tell me why and how to resolve this matter. and you know because the fan stop spinning it means the car will run hot. please help Thanks alot. later

Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Default RE: strange everytime i plug the plug into the sensor on my coolant water outlet my radiator fan stops..

The electric fans are not supposed to operate all the time. They only come on when needed. I suspect what is going on here is that there is a default condition that will turn on the fans if the engine computer fails to get a signal from the engine coolant temperature sender. It's a fail-safe design. So when you pull the plug, the fans are turned on by the computer, even though the engine may not be hot enough to warrant fan operation.
The real test is: will the fans come on with the sensor plugged in AND with the enginehot enough to require them?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Default RE: strange everytime i plug the plug into the sensor on my coolant water outlet my radiator fan stops..

Suggestion: Leave the sensor plugged in and drive. Drive uphill. Go climb a mountain and see if you get hot along the way. If you don't, the fans are likely coming on and going off appropriately. (you may even hear them kick in and out) If you do get hot, then you have a problem.

If you make the fans run when they are not supposed to it will cause the car to run cooler than it is designed to, making more pollution, and wasting fuel.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:20 AM

Thank you both for the reply now its making sense, ok what is being said is the fan isnt suppose to be running alllllllllllllll the time only when the computer sends signal saying it needs to be cooled so the fan start(question mark) because i thought and did this when i start my car with the sensor cable unplugged u can hear the fan but as soon as iplugged inthe cable the fan u can't hear. me thinking that the fan suppose to start up when i start up my car, so tell me if i am doin something wrong and if i got what both of yall are sayin . But thanks again for a reply

Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Default RE: strange everytime i plug the plug into the sensor on my coolant water outlet my radiator fan sto

the fan is only going to run when needed.

When the car first starts the engine is cold and does not need the fan running so it does not come on.

After it warms up, you can just have it idle in your drive way for awhile, the fan will come on. After a time it will stop running once it sees it no longer needs to be cooled further.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Default RE: strange everytime i plug the plug into the sensor on my coolant water outlet my radiator fan sto

thanks a million all that helped me on that matter, everyone telling i need to buy a part but its normal for the fan to not be on when the car start. also does anyone know y my water in the water tank might be boiling and steam is comin tru the little hole in the diagram link here > http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/chrysler.gif(label 7). when i drive the water boil and steam comes out of the hood when i opened it in diagram ( label 7) steam is coming out of itbecause the water is boiling

Old 11-14-2008, 04:26 PM

The little hole #7 in the picture is the overflow. That bottle has pressurized and unpressurized parts in it. If the pressurized part needs to vent some anti-freeze due to too much pressure, it flows into the non-pressurized part and is supposed to be held there until the engine cools down, when it will be sucked back into the system. If too much goes out, it has to go out somewhere and that's what the little hole is for.
It may be that your pressure cap is bad. The system is supposed to operate under pressure at a temperature a little above the normal boiling point of water. The pressure will prevent boiling from occurring. Also, you need to keep a 50% solution of anti-freeze and water to prevent boiling.
Have your pressure cap tested to make sure it's good, or just buy a new one. Make sure you have the proper type and amount of anti-freeze in there.
If those things are okay, you could have a bad thermostat, or worst-case-scenario, your head gasket is blown.
Check the thermostat first, though, because it'sfar cheaper to replace that thanthe head gasket(s).
You need to get this fixed. Boiling is bad.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:16 PM

thanks alot, so much help, i dont even know but the fan still didnt come on after i plugged in the sensor, it didnt run hot because i watched the temperture in the car but i drove for like 2 1/2 miles and checked the water was boiling but the fan didnt come on .

Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 PM

Sounds to me like there's some air in the system, I would bleed the system and recheck.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:12 AM

hi im a woman , i dont even know what is bleed the system. but thanks maybe u can explain what is bleeding the system, also how long does it take for the fan to kick in because after i plug the sensor back in it isnt running hot but boiling but the fan isnt on either. Does anyone know ruffly how long does it take for the fan to come on or ruffly how much miles. please let me know. I invest so many money in my car and if there is a solution without payin someone else please let me know. Also where is the thermostat someone told me maybe i need to move that and see wat will happen because there chrysler would run hot until they removed the thermostat so if someone can help me out there also that would be greattttttttttttttttttt.

Quick Reply: strange everytime i plug the plug into the sensor on my coolant water outlet my radiator fan stops..