Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2005 Pacifica P0203 and P0344

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by momzilla
Should I suggest they investigate in some direction?
I'm inclined to believe the wiring harness is rubbing somewhere when the driveline is torqued. The codes are in no way related or on a common circuit. I would suggest they farm it out to a Chrysler dealer and end this silliness. I know people will tell you a car is a car, but that doesn't hold quite as true as it used to.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-24-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:57 AM

Day 4. Husband spoke to them yesterday and at the end of the day they were going down a path where they think it could be the timing? I appreciate them not throwing parts at it, but jeez.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:36 PM

Well, I wish I could tell you more but I would need the scan tool and the car here in front of me.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Default Only me...another update

Finally got them this morning, after two weeks, to take my car to the Chrysler dealer.

They take a look at the PCM and it looks like something has been GNAWING ON a bundle of wires going into the PCM. Seriously? Only me.

$250 reasonable?

Now to find out how much the massive AC rupture will be.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 PM

Finally got them this morning, after two weeks, to take my car to the Chrysler dealer.

They take a look at the PCM and it looks like something has been GNAWING ON a bundle of wires going into the PCM. Seriously? Only me.

$250 reasonable?
They found it in ONE day. The others never found it in a month. I would say that's very reasonable. Not just you, I find "chewies" all the time. There is peanut or vegetable oil used in the manufacturing process of the wire. Not sure in what capacity but critters pick up on it sometimes.

I would make that tech at the CHrysler dealer your "go-to" from now on.

Originally Posted by TNtech
..........I have never seen a sensor and an actuator code triggering at the same time unless it was a PCM issue or some wires touching somwhere in the wiring harness.

Now something else..., the PCM is in a strange place (under the fender on drivers side) There can be some wiring damage from road debris or some corrosion issue going on there. The pins for the cam sensor and the injector drivers are in the same PCM connector...the middle one

Last edited by TNtech; 06-04-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:00 PM

They found it in ONE day. The amatuers never found it. I would say that's very reasonable. Not just you, I find "chewies" all the time. There is peanut oil used in the manufacturing process of the wire. Not sure in what capacity but critters pick up on it sometimes.
They found it in hours. The latest call is that they can't get the Cam sensor code to clear and think the problem may have shorted the sensor. They want to replace it for $100. Remember we already replaced this at the start, and the part cost us $50 at the dealer. Can they check someway to see if it is shorted, or is there another way to check it rather than just replacing it and seeing if that works. Husband still has the original sensor we took out.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:16 PM

They found it in hours. The latest call is that they can't get the Cam sensor code to clear and think the problem may have shorted the sensor. They want to replace it for $100. Remember we already replaced this at the start, and the part cost us $50 at the dealer. Can they check someway to see if it is shorted, or is there another way to check it rather than just replacing it and seeing if that works. Husband still has the original sensor we took out.
It may be chewed too. There are test procedures for every code. The way they are layed out is to eliminate the wiring as the culprit first. If it's an active code they should hone right in on it. If it's intermittent then swapping it will rule it out. Test procedures are not designed for intermittent issues. They may just need to relearn the cam/crank in the PCM. You have to remember, they are having to go behind no telling how many people that have been working on it already. Those I charge double for...lol.

Last edited by TNtech; 06-04-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 PM

It may be chewed too. There are test procedures for every code. The way they are layed out is to eliminate the wiring as the culprit first. If it's an active code they should hone right in on it. If it's intermittent then swapping it will rule it out. Test procedures are not designed for intermittent issues. They may just need to relearn the cam/crank in the PCM. You have to remember, they are having to go behind no telling how many people that have been working on it already. Those I charge double for...lol.
Do you mean the pcm has to re-learn things from the sensors before the code can re-set even with their scan tool? (I'm not sure I follow) I know from experience it will re-set itself after about 5 start/run cycles. It was doing that before we ever brought the vehicle in.

You should know how much I am kicking myself for not just taking it to my local, very professional Chrysler dealer. But we thought it would be a warranty issue and had to take it to where we bought it.

I very much appreciate the dialogue you are having with me over this! Thanks!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:51 PM

You should know how much I am kicking myself for not just taking it to my local, very professional Chrysler dealer. But we thought it would be a warranty issue and had to take it to where we bought it.
Well, the warranty you bought should have covered taking it to any certified facility. The way they work is the shop calls the 1-800 number of the warranty company and they work out the hourly rate and amount of time, items covered, etc. There are some that you can only use the facility you bought it from. I know of a couple places that work that way. You may want to inquire about the specifics of yours. You may be able to go right to the dealer from now on.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 PM

Do you mean the pcm has to re-learn things from the sensors before the code can re-set even with their scan tool? (I'm not sure I follow) I know from experience it will re-set itself after about 5 start/run cycles.
There is a menu item on the scan tool where you can reset the cam/crank sync. Sometimes after one of the two have failed, and it gets replaced, a cam or crank code can set right after. In some cases, I have seen them not even start until a relearn was done. I was just accessing the "data bank" and spitting things out. I don't even know what code they're getting but i'm sure they'll figure it out.

Last edited by TNtech; 06-04-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 Pacifica P0203 and P0344