Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

AC Problem PLS Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Default AC Problem PLS Help!

Hi, I own an 04 Pacifica AWD. When I turn the ac on, the ac blows cold on the passenger's side but not the driver's. I don't have the Dual setting on and even when is on, the driver's still doesn't blow cold. Please help?!?!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

low freon charge in the system.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:02 AM

Ctech.. I know you have been doing this for many years but please explain how low charge could have cold on the passenger side and warm on the other. You would think a low charge would not put cold air anywhere, or at least freeze the coil.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM

I have the exact same problem - 2007 Chrysler Pacifica - a/c blows warm air on driver side.

I do not have Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) System. I have the Manual Air Conditioning and Heating System with a slide control buttons for the driver and pass.

When just the vent is on, not a/c, everything appears to work fine. All blowers (driver and pass) work, blow evenly, temperature is even across all vents, all selectors work properly. The slide control buttons work properly and blow heat or cool on all settings properly. Only normal noises from the pass dash.

The problem is when I turn on the a/c. With the air on, all of the passenger side blowers work, blow evenly, temperature is even across all pass vents, all selectors work properly. The slide control buttons work properly and blow heat or cool on all settings properly.

At the same time with the air on, all of the DRIVER side blowers work, blow evenly, but the temperature is WARM and even across all driver vents (door, windshield, dash, floor), all selectors work properly. The slide control buttons work and blow heat or back to WARM on all settings.

There is a noise that started the same time as the warm air problem. It only happens when the air is on. The noise is from the dash on the pass side. It is not constant, it is semi intermittent. It sounds like it builds up pressure and then releases air.

Because of that symptom, it was suggested to me that I replace the interior cabin air filter and that might fix the problem. While I can see that a plugged filter would cause problems with the system ( and cause air to take a path it is not supposed to take and cause hissing noises) , I do not have Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) System. I have the Manual Air Conditioning and Heating System with a slide control buttons for the driver and pass. I think only the ATC system has the interior cabin air filter. Is that correct? I have looked several times under the pass dash and I do not see any filter door that one could pull a slide bar and remove a door.

What could be wrong? I am hoping it is something easy like low on freon, but if it is that, should I be concerned that be a such a new vehicle would lose freon? My thinking was like mrfixit454 and if it was low on freon, then all vents would be warm, not just the driver side.

The pass a/c noise was not there when it was a brand new car and the driver side vents blew cold a/c air when new.

So I have two questions. 1 - explain how low freon causes one side hot and one side cool. 2 - where is the cabin air filter?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Default Pacifica cabin filter

The Cabin filter is located right under the passenger's side dash. You'll see kind of a box with a slide off clip. Just slide that clip and pull the filter down. I bought my filter on ebay for about $18. Chrysler sells them for around $42-$43.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Default cabin air filter

I am guessing that not all Pacifica's have a cabin air filter. I have not been able to find a photo of what the filter housing looks like and EXACTLY where it is(under pass side dash). I have stuck my head back there several time. I even took the glove box off for easier viewing (easy to do). I am not an idiot, I have sucessfully fixed many different pieces of equipment. I will be darned if I can find what you guys are talking about. You can find everything on the internet except for a photo/figure of where the cabin filter is. I have googled for 2 hours.

Kind of a moot point anyways. Sounds like you have replaced yours and we both still have the same problem.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:12 PM

In thinkng this over I was going to say the auto temp control (since it can sense body temp) is mesing up on the driver sensing side. Thinks the driver is too cold so it ads heat bubt now that some of you expericence this with the manual sytem, that shoots this theory out the door.

My dad had a similar problem on his 03 Ram with single manual controls. They told him that it was prepped for dual control and it did not have the correct controller in it. Once they put the controller in, the temps worked correctly on each side. not saying this is the problem but this is how his was fixed.

Now that I think of it maybe for the auto systems, the flap that separates the flow for each side is messed up. I have never seen the inside of the HVAC box for the PAC's only the truck.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

low freon will only remove half the incomming hot air that way its colder on one side and not the other it hold true for any big cabin area like mini van and so on if u have a system with 2 or more lbs of freon it will do it 1lb will usually be the fix.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:14 PM

I would like to smack the guys head that decided that the driver side A/C will go out first. Damn rocks find the driver side and the stupid windshield wipers go out on the driver side first too!#@%!

Anyone have an authoritative response as to if all Pacifica's have a cabin filter?

Another smack is deserved to the guy that designed the center counsel. I go through the drive thru, order my meal, have to set my credit card down, so I put it on the center counsel ahead of the gear shift. You would think that would be a handy place to set items, any items. Lady ahead of me is too busy adjusting her bra or something so I have to slam on my brakes. SLOOOP! There goes the credit card into a teeny tiny slot, just like an ATM machine. It all happens in a micro second. And the only way you get it back is to contort yourself into uncomfortable positions and dismantle the center counsel. And which ever side you start from, the other side is closer so you end up taking that side off as well. I stuffed some foam in the slot but it keeps popping back out and will not stay put. HINT - in 15 years when you see these in junk yards- pry them open and you should find all kinds of neat stuff.

Does anyone know why the freon leaked out? I have not had a decent (new) car before. Is it common to have to recharge the A/C system? Or does there have to be another fix to keep the A/C running? I live in a cold climate MN. Does that contribute to it? I live in a rural area and it is a headache to take a car in for repair, take off work, schedule repair. A bit of understanding of the A/C would help. Does this fix have to happen now? Does it damage it to run low? Again, any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

Old 06-25-2009, 02:16 PM

Not sure if all have cabin filter but look on the passenger side under the dash closer to the center console. There is a piece of plastic that slides front or backwards that lets you pull the lower cover off of the filter box. The filter will be up in there when you take the cover off. Its a cover plate about 2" wide by 10" long/ Thin rectangle if you will. The new one goes in a particular way, it should have an arrow on it. BTW.. on my van, previous owner put it in backwards.
I only changed it once in my PAC. I just changed in my T&C and I had to fold it slightly in half to get it in and out.. might be the same on the PAC. There is actaually a cut on each side so it can fold.

If low on freon that means a leak which means air can get it and possible corrosion can begin. If you can afford it, probably better to fix it now than later.

Quick Reply: AC Problem PLS Help!