Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Pacifica EVAP problem: codes p0455, p0456, and p0457

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Default Gas cap

Further my post above

wifey went out and pulled a 457 code

Can anyone offer advise on what to check first?

Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM

I like to see things - here are pics of primary and secondary FPName:  pacsecondary.jpg
Views: 20657
Size:  14.3 KBName:  pacprimary.jpg
Views: 19864
Size:  12.9 KB

Old 08-08-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by DKats
Tim, it sounds like replacing the cap and valve were a waste of money. You probably have the same problem with the fuel pump nozzle. Here's how to fix it. First, you need to have an empty or near empty gas tank. Either drain the gas out or drive around until you are on empty. You don't really need to jack the car up, that way the fuel tank can rest on the ground when you loosen it. The first thing to do is remove two bolts that hold the back end of the muffler and exhaust pipe up. let it lower down and rest on the ground. Next you need to remove the screws around where you fill up the gas tank to loosen the pipe. Next you need to disconnect the fuel tank itself. There are two long metal strips that hold the tank to the car, one closer to the driver's side and one closer to the passenger side. remove the bolts and bars and let the tank down to rest on the ground. It might help to have a jack to support the tank while you are removing the screws. The top of the fuel pump sticks up out of the top of the tank on the passenger side. You will see several nozzles and hoses connected to the top. The problem one points up towards the front of the car. The plastic nozzle itself has probably cracked. Here is where you might have to get a little creative. Somehow, you need to reattach the nozzle and hose to the fuel pump in such a way that it will not break again. The inherent problem is that the hose is not long enough and it pulls on the nozzle which over time leads to it breaking. In my case, the plastic nozzle had broken off completely and I had a hard time reattaching it. I got some plastic tubing (about 6 inches long) and was able to connect it to the opening on the fuel pump with some epoxy. I then attached the broken end of the niozzle to the other end of the tube so that it would attach like it normally does to the original tubing. The extra 6 inches of tubing was long enough to correct the shortened tube pulling on the nozzle. I put a bunch more epoxy all around the connections to make sure it was air tight. It has been several months and the check engine light has not come back on and I have not had any problems. Sorry, I did not take any pictures while I was working on it, that would have been helpful.

It is a little bit difficult to do on your own but if you are a decent DIY'er you can do it. If you take it to a mechanic they will probably want to replace the fuel pump which could be several hundred dollars. Hope this helps.
thanks for the tip it was exactly what was wrong with mine....i could not find an after market part ( the dealer calls it the " jet pump")....i used 4 inch flexible nozzle extentions....they are used for irrigation....they have brass threads that fit perfectly in the holes of both broken peices....gave them a few turns and covered them with epoxy ...so far so good.....i cant believe they didnt fix this problem with a recall....F.U. chrysler !

Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 PM

have a costomer with same codes found out small plastic hose on the rigth side top of the tank kind of burn around the curve,repair the hose problem solve.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:22 PM
Default How to get to the Fuel pump from above

I realize this is an old forum but it would be nice to have these links that show how to access the top of the fuel pump without dropping the tank.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:33 PM

Just in case anyone wanted to see what the broken line looks like, here it is on my 2006.

Attached Thumbnails Pacifica EVAP problem: codes p0455, p0456, and p0457-20170708_111857.jpg   Pacifica EVAP problem: codes p0455, p0456, and p0457-20170708_111240.jpg