Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

pulsating rubbing sound while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 09:03 PM
Default pulsating rubbing sound while driving?

Hi everything! I have a 2004 Pacifica and have had a very annoying rubbing sound which seems to be coming from the left front wheel. This occurs while driving and seems to get a little louder when turning the wheel to the left, it's like a pulsating sound that gets faster and slower as you accelerate and slow down. You can actually feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel when it rubs. Also have noticed that when braking hard from a higher speed the steering wheel will slightly shake side to side. Can anyone give me some ideas of what might be causing this, thanks.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:42 PM

Inspect your tire on that side carefully. You might have a bulging sidewall on the inward side of the tire that's rubbing. Best to remove the wheel and look under there for any signs of abrasion.

The shaking when braking is probably caused by a warped rotor. Resurface or replace the front rotors.

Check the front end for loose ball joints. The car is 10 years old now and those things don't last forever.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Inspect your tire on that side carefully. You might have a bulging sidewall on the inward side of the tire that's rubbing. Best to remove the wheel and look under there for any signs of abrasion.

The shaking when braking is probably caused by a warped rotor. Resurface or replace the front rotors.

Check the front end for loose ball joints. The car is 10 years old now and those things don't last forever.
Thanks. Could the warped rotors be causing the rubbing sound against the brake pads? How do I check the ball joints? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still learning.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:33 AM

Usually the rotors will push the pads back after just a revolution or two, so I wouldn't expect that kind of sound. To check the ball joints, with the car up on a jackstand (not a jack) grab and try to wiggle the joints with your hands. If there's any movement, they need replacement. For some of the joints, you may need to put a partial load on the suspension.
Replacement of ball joints isn't terribly difficult, but requires some expertise and special tools. If that's beyond your current capabilities, then take it to a pro you trust for a thorough inspection.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:06 PM

Maybe a Hub?? The pulsating sound when accelerating would definitely be it. And you're braking symptoms are 100% guaranteed wrapped discs.