Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Replaced timing belt and water pump.....this is the outcome....what's wrong? (video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:44 AM
Default Replaced timing belt and water pump.....this is the outcome....what's wrong? (video)

Ok so my water pump went out....replaced that and the timing belt...got everything put back together for the 3rd time in 4 days. Well right now it's taken apart like you see in the video.....So yeah, my dad said that he would do the timing belt for me since I hadn't done one before....that's the only thing I haven't had to do on this engine until now....my dad has been working on cars since he was 17 just so you have an idea....anyways, I trusted him when he said everything was good, So I started it and this is what happens. Are the valves bent or is the timing off? Oh and the first time I heard it make this noise I automatically assumed the starter had some new magic tricks lol....so I replaced the started also. And this is where I'm stuck at now. Any and all help/input is greatly appreciated.
http://vid483.photobucket.com/albums...psfaw2900e.mp4

Last edited by ferguson621; 02-28-2017 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added video
Old 02-28-2017, 02:48 PM

Does the engine turn by hand ? If not timing would be suspect. Pistons WILL hit the valves if not timed properly.
Is there a chance there is a battery or ground cable not connected, or battery low on charge ? Poor connection could cause the starter to attempt to pull in but not enough power to crank the engine.
Last, it is NOT a good idea to run the engine with out coolant even for a brief second. Water pump seal is cooled and lubricated by coolant. Run dry will damage of destroy it quickly. May not leak at first but it is a good bet it wont last but a few hundred miles.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by FIREM
Does the engine turn by hand ? If not timing would be suspect. Pistons WILL hit the valves if not timed properly.
Is there a chance there is a battery or ground cable not connected, or battery low on charge ? Poor connection could cause the starter to attempt to pull in but not enough power to crank the engine.
Last, it is NOT a good idea to run the engine with out coolant even for a brief second. Water pump seal is cooled and lubricated by coolant. Run dry will damage of destroy it quickly. May not leak at first but it is a good bet it wont last but a few hundred miles.
all my connections are good as far as ground and power, ive got an extremely loud stereo....8000 watts, three 18's in a c pillar wall so ive got the big 4 in 4/0 welding wire for my grounds and power from my alternator, ive got a 240 amp mechman high output alternator that charges at 14.5v at idle and 5 agm batteries.....i got everything put back together and i got the timing marks to line up exactly where they should be, im thinking my batteries got drained a little to much because in the mix of all this i was trying to adjust my amps lol....so im about to put my harmonic balancer on and put my serpentine belt on and see what it does....ill post an update here shortly

Old 03-03-2017, 07:23 AM

Ok so I ended up blowing a head gasket....So my next question is....since the 300 and the pacifica share the same engine can I get away with buying the head gasket set for the 300 because it's roughly $65 and the one for my pacifica is anywhere from $100-$300 depending on which gasket set you get. If the engines are identical then why is the 300's gasket set considerably cheaper than the one for the pacifica?

nevermind I just realized that I have to by the vin......well I did a motor swap from an 05 pacifica. so does it still matter about the vin number since they're the same engine? Do I need to match the numbers on the motor?

Last edited by ferguson621; 03-03-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

ummm have you ever seen a head gasket? is MLS Multi Layer Steel 3 layers of steal to hold back 200 Lbs of compression now common misconception is a I blew a head gasket mmm no you dont you warp a head first before you would blow through 3 layers of steal. Also check the thermostat for being stretched if you over heated it.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:32 PM

To be 100% no I have not seen a head gasket yet...when I started my car it had white smoke pouring out the exhaust....it was really thick also.....so do I need to buy the whole rebuild kit with the valves and all the gaskets?
Head Gasket Set Exhaust & Intake Engine Guides Valves Fits 03 06 SOHC 24v | eBay
Is this the one I should get?l..........

Old 03-05-2017, 05:22 AM

More likely the Lower Intake Mainfold Gasket is leaking coolant into an intake port...........

Old 03-05-2017, 09:08 AM

That's alot better than the head gaskets lol....so if I replace the lower and upper intake gaskets everything should be fine after that right?

Old 03-05-2017, 07:26 PM

Good chance that would cure it. Didn't consider hydro lock in your original issue but it makes sense. FWIW OEM Lower Intake gaskets strongly recommended.
LIM Gasket -- OE recommended - Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club

Old 03-08-2017, 11:17 AM

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]Name:  20170308_103319_zpsy787jtq1.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  467.7 KB[/URL][/IMG]So after I changed the lower intake manifold gasket I was putting the rocker arms back in and I was tightening the bolts down and one of them busted off in the block. And I tried tapping it out and using an easy out and it was a cheap one so it busted off in the hole also, so after that happened I just decided to change the cylinder head. I finally got the head off about 30 minutes ago and this is what I found...oh and thats the same piston in both pictures, the third one is the bottom side of the left cylinder head, its the piston furthest to the left also

Last edited by ferguson621; 03-08-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Replaced timing belt and water pump.....this is the outcome....what's wrong? (video)