Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Grand Caravan Sliding door problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Default 2006 Grand Caravan Sliding door problem.

2006 Grand Caravan both L & R power sliding doors won't power open with the outside door handle. They will open by manually pulling the door or under power with a FOB, door jamb switches or overhead swithes.
Any ideas??

Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM

Dealer may need to update PSDM / check for the correct states of the Power Sliding Door Module (PSDM) inputs.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 AM

This is a friends 2006. I will advise, Thanks for the info.
I have a 2010 T&C, its doors work correctly.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rustydog
2006 Grand Caravan both L & R power sliding doors won't power open with the outside door handle. They will open by manually pulling the door or under power with a FOB, door jamb switches or overhead swithes.
Any ideas??
Then there is no problem, when using the door handle itself, that is manual control. To use the power motor, then press the related button on the fob or the ones inside the vehicle. I actually laughed when i first read this.

Last edited by Hodges710; 02-04-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hodges710
Then there is no problem, when using the door handle itself, that is manual control. To use the power motor, then press the related button on the fob or the ones inside the vehicle. I actually laughed when i first read this.

Agreed......

I just had the opposite situation today. Customer traded in his o6 T+C towards a 2012, and freaked out when he pulled the door handle and the door kept going

Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hodges710
This is a friends 2006. I own a 2010 T&C. On the 2010 when I pull the exterior door handle, either sliding door will open under power and NOT need to be dragged open as the 2006 requires. The 2010 will also open the slider under power by using the interior handle (providing the vehicle is unlocked). This 2006 does not have an interior release handle.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM

The "POWER DOOR HANDLES" became available In 2008. The earlier stuff , the door hanles released a clutch which disengaged the drive motor to allow the door to slide manually.

The inside rlease on the earlier models is a "Pushbutton" on the "Pull Strap", which will work the same as your interior handles (Without Power of course), provided the doors arent locked, or the "Child safety Locks" arent set.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rustydog
This is a friends 2006. I own a 2010 T&C. On the 2010 when I pull the exterior door handle, either sliding door will open under power and NOT need to be dragged open as the 2006 requires. The 2010 will also open the slider under power by using the interior handle (providing the vehicle is unlocked). This 2006 does not have an interior release handle.
As you may know now, the 2006 models did not have the power option connect to the use of the handles alone. There is nothing wrong with your friends van. If he/she wants that option, a newer models needs to be purchased.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
The "POWER DOOR HANDLES" became available In 2008. The earlier stuff , the door hanles released a clutch which disengaged the drive motor to allow the door to slide manually.

The inside rlease on the earlier models is a "Pushbutton" on the "Pull Strap", which will work the same as your interior handles (Without Power of course), provided the doors arent locked, or the "Child safety Locks" arent set.
Thanks for info I will relay to the owner. The power module update info was misleading.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:11 PM

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT passenger power sliding door not working with key fob, interior button, etc. Will work when opening manually. I believe the issue is a wiring harness problem, probably a broken wire based on what I have read. I went to find the broken wire and find all the wires covered in nylon covering with no obvious wires (they are underneath this coating). All videos I have watched I have not seen another one like this and don't know how to gently access those wires without risking cutting others. We bought the van after another owner had it 10 months. We have never had any repairs done on this harness so it appears to have come from the factory this way.

Just looking for ideas on why this is completely covered with nylon when all other videos I have seen on this repair do not look like that and secondly, how can I safely peel back that nylon cording to expose the wires to inspect for breakage?

Any help appreciated!

Quick Reply: 2006 Grand Caravan Sliding door problem.