Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Voyager won't start anymore

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Exclamation Grand Voyager won't start anymore

This morning whe driving only 5km the speed display, tachometer end temperature displayed for 5 sec the max possible and after 5 sec everything went normal, but when I stopped and tried to start the motor nothing happend, the display of the radio and the heating display where off, but not the lights of the airbags etc. The motor didn't turn, so I connected the battery to an other car , but nothing happend only clicking, like the battery was empty. Does anyone already had this problem or knows what the problem can be.

Thanks

Eddy

Old 05-20-2016, 12:34 PM

It sounds like one of the cells in the battery has failed. You need a new battery.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:29 PM

Initially it does sound like battery is on way out but you tried a jump start and no joy. You got clicking that's good so I'd first pull off connector on starter coil and replace it noting if it was loose. Try start if no joy check for voltage at the starter coil while trying to start. If there's voltage your starter is knackered. But you may have two issues here, the other is this voltage fluctuation relating to Battery or Alternator. I've heard of this cell breakdown that Alan mentions, it took them awhile to fathom it out at the cost of a battery.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Cool

Sorry I made a mistake it's not clicking when I tried to start. No sound only the display of the radio and temperature inside and also because it's dark here now the lights inside are less clear. We tried the battery AlanC like you said but that's not the problem. We tried a new battery and jumpstart again. I will try starter tomorrow because it's 10pm here, I will keep you informed

Thanks

Eddy

Old 05-20-2016, 03:46 PM

Could be a double failure..
Battery dead + Dynamo

Old 05-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Thumbs up

I checked the starting motor today. The earth is working, the main cable from the battery showing 12.3 volt and the cable form the switch showing 11.3 volt. The problem was this morning the battery was flat and when I charged the battery for 2 hours I checked inside the car all the lights where working, then I turned the key and the lights where out, but again the speed, temperture etc meter showing max and after a few sec showingthe exact value. I put a cable from the battery to the starting motor small cable but no sound from the starting motor, so how can I be 100% sure the starting motor is broken, and are the any other test I can do.

Thanks

Eddy

Old 05-21-2016, 11:48 AM

A flat battery will cause the instrument needles to swing round to maximum and then back to zero.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:23 PM

Well if you put power to the starter motor small terminal or coil it should turn the starter. Sounds like a starter motor issue. Is the starter stuck in, maybe jammed on ring gear and drawing away the power.
Was the car starting ok before this fault, slow turn over or the like.

Last edited by goggs; 05-21-2016 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Add on.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:59 AM

Thanks AlanC I didn't know that. Goggs the starting motor worked very well before. I took the starting motor off and tested with a battery of an other car and not working, so I ordered a new starting motor.
Keep you informed
Eddy

Old 05-23-2016, 03:38 PM

Try it with a known good fully charged 800CCA battery - not your recharged battery - not jump leads working through the sulphated cells on your battery. You know take it to a shop & borrow a new 800CCA or borrow a big battery from a friend the whole thing is a half hour operation.

Prove or disprove the battery 1st. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Grand Voyager won't start anymore