Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 T&C No Rad Fans when A/C is on.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Default 03 T&C No Rad Fans when A/C is on.

Hello. First time I've signed up on a Chrysler Forum

We have a 2003 Town and Country with the 3.3 Flex Fuel v6. The A/C compressor locked up last week and chucked the belt. We flushed the entire system, changed the expansion valves front, rear, installed new compressor, new belt and changed the accumulator/dryer. After pulling vacuum for 2 hours and filling they system with oil and as much freon as it would take. We started it up. Alas, the fans were not coming on.

Fearing that the fans not coming on caused the compressor to lock up in the first place. We stopped the engine and started trouble shooting. We checked fuses, made sure the fans operate when jumped. Changed the fan "relay" on the front bumper, and changed the engine coolant temp sensor. Still no fans.

I then decided to start the car and let the engine run and idle until the fans came on or it started getting too hot. After 15 mins of idling in 88* weather no fans. Temp gauge never rose above the 1/2 way mark. I then decided to hold the RPMs up to about 1500 with my scanner and an IR temp gun watching coolant temps.

Finally the fans came on full power as soon as my scanner showed 225*F. Could this be correct? I know newer cars run hotter than the older cars. But 225*. My Chevy runs at 180* + or - 2*. Is this normal? What could cause the fans not to run with the A/C on?

I am at my wits end with this car. I really don't want to send it to the dealer and get raped after I have installed $500 in new parts. It's gotta be something simple. Help Chrysler Forum

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

the fans come on when the pressure for the ac system is above a certain pressure did the ac system cool ?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 PM

Yes, I ended up jumping the fans to fill the system. A/C works great. Sounds like a pressure switch then. I assume the high pressure switch would be the faulty one since the compressor cycled until the system was full. This sound about right.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

how much did u put in?

Old 08-05-2011, 03:56 PM

I put 2.25lbs in. Pressure on the low side was about 40-45psi at night with an ambient outside temp of 85*. Seemed high to me so I stopped adding. IIRC the front of the car says 2.765 and NAPA's site said 2.9xx.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

more like 2.88 lbs but here is the main question does the ac work like it is suppose to? is it cooling ?

Old 08-06-2011, 11:55 AM

The A/c cools just fine when I turn it on and force the fans to run. Unless I force the fans to run the fans don't come on until the engine temps hit 255. I am afraid to let the the A/C run for too long without the fans running. I fear that the head pressure will become too high as the condenser gets very hot without the fans running. I think this problem with the fans caused the original compressor to lock up.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:50 PM

I was going to call up the dealer but decided to try it one more time. I just fired the van up and turned on the A/C. As soon as I heard the A/C compressor turn on, the cooling fans followed. WTF. I absolutely hate intermittent problems. Its starting to sound like a wiring harness problem now. Any suggestions on what to look for now.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:40 PM

Bump....

Old 08-10-2011, 12:34 PM

To The Top.

Quick Reply: 03 T&C No Rad Fans when A/C is on.