Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voyager Gears - 2.5 CRD

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Default Voyager Gears - 2.5 CRD

Hi i have a Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.5 crd, the gears seem to be very stiff, any idea what it could be?

Have recently had the rear crank seals done also a new clutch fitted, but it was like this before as well....

Old 02-21-2010, 02:48 PM

Seems to be a common problem....the gears are very notchy till it warms up a bit. Needing my rear crank seals done now as well!! Good design and i like these cars but.....VERY poor reliability!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by harrysaimbhi
Hi i have a Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.5 crd, the gears seem to be very stiff, any idea what it could be?

Have recently had the rear crank seals done also a new clutch fitted, but it was like this before as well....
what's the mileage?
when did you last change gearbox oil?
was it regular?
what kind of oil do you have in your gearbox?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 AM

Its covered 153k with full Chrysler history, gearbox oil was changed when clutch was replaced, from what i have been told, not sure about what sort of oil is in it. It happens majority of the time... any more ideas?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM

Can anyone advise what gearbox oil I should buy for a 2002 2.5crd manual.

Hoping regular changes will help the stiff nature of the box.

Seems to be conflicting advice all over the net!

Thanks

Old 06-29-2010, 09:57 AM

Would this be suitable - comes highly recommended by Opie Oils.

Amsoil Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF

Old 06-29-2010, 04:12 PM

After the orginal discussions, I went for Mopar ATF+4 oil, part number 0510 352 8EA - got it for around £6 per litre, and was as cheap as the non-Mopar alternatives. The main recommendation is that the gearbox oil should be changed every 20,000 miles (or less).

Old 07-03-2010, 02:43 AM

It is normal for them to be a bit notchy when cold but NEVER stiff. Stiffness can mean either

a. The Synchro hubs are going
b. The wrong oil has been fitted and the box is now baulking

Do as actd has said and do it now.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:04 AM

Thanks Glowplug, would you also recommend the Mopar ATF or would the Amsoil be better?

Old 07-04-2010, 06:34 AM

Sorry I am not prepared to make any sort of recommendation. I have experimented with many types of oil and have finally settled on one that I feel works the best for my car. An oil that also just so happens to come from Opie's. But I know my car and I know what condition the box is in and having worked on cars for over 20 years know what feels right and what doesn't. Making recommendations with no background knowledge is dangerous.

If you wish to experiement then at least start with the manufacturers recommended so you can draw a baseline. From there you can try different oils to see what feels better and what feels worse. JUST REMEMBER you must NEVER EVER EVER put normal SX75-90 GL5 gearbox oil in your box and personally I would never use a GL4 either. It takes a good week or so to notice any real change in box performance when changing oils as the new oil needs to dilute what's left of the old stuff and then fully ingress into all the moving parts.

Quick Reply: Voyager Gears - 2.5 CRD