Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who is using 2T in there fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Lightbulb who is using 2T in there fuel?

Just wondering how many are use low ash 2 stroke oil in there fuel tanks? I've been using it for years now with good results! I buy mine from Morrison's for £2 for a 500ml bottle. I find it makes a difference to the engine note! Much quieter engine @ idle.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:53 PM

Was going to ask you if it sounds like a Chainsaw but that's silly. Anyway how much oil do you put in per Litre of fuel.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:42 PM

Urban myth. its been doing the rounds [in America] since the war. You want it you use it. If there was any truth in any of the research by any of the scientist or manufacturing community in the last 50 years the additives would be in synth anyway. I've read tons on it and long since concluded all evidence is emotional and purely subjective, emptying your pockets may give a boost in anxiety reduction but that's not evidence.

Sorry lads !

Old 10-23-2014, 07:10 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by goggs
Was going to ask you if it sounds like a Chainsaw but that's silly. Anyway how much oil do you put in per Litre of fuel.

it sounds like a lawn mower!

I use 250ml in a full tank full. I know that Mercedes used it when they had a car going through some countries on test that had sub standard Derv. I have noticed a difference in the engine note! More muted. Now some say I might be hearing things! But as a ex pro clissical musical working with all the top Orchestras in London and around the World! I know what I hear. It has to be doing good as there is lubes in the 2T oil.

Try it!... like it, use it!... or not use it if you can't see a difference.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:51 AM

I must say that when I tested as objectively as possible the use of some two-stroke oil in with the diesel, the only thing I could ascertain was a slight reduction of noise (I come from a musical family and don't have tin ears). But I must also say that no decibel meter was used.
Otherwise, in terms of power output and fuel consumption, there was no difference whatsoever.
I can't imagine one would need extra lubricity for the diesel since removal of sulphur, as the fuel suppliers will have already done that. I understand the inclusion of around 5% processed vegetable oil by the suppliers does exactly that.
The use of a small quantity of acetone with diesel fuel also made no difference whatsoever.
The use of cetane "boosters" in the diesel fuel will also make no difference whatsoever as EN590 regulation specifies at least cetane #51. A higher cetane number will make diesel fuel burn faster, but using it in an engine not designed for it would be pointless, as would be using high-octane petrol in an engine with too-low a compression ratio for it.

You can rest assured that putting "stuff" in the fuel or in the engine oil sump achieves nothing at all except emptying your wallet. That money would be better spent on buying fuel.

Having said all that, it's certainly possible to buy imperfect fuel from petrol/diesel filling stations that don't look after what they sell properly. Water and algae are sometimes contained in diesel fuel along with dirt etc.

If you really want to do something to help your engine, about the only way is to heat it up first in winter with a coolant heater so when you start it all the friction losses and wear are eliminated before you start. 80 to 90% of engine wear happens in the warm-up period. Diesels have a terrible fuel consumption when cold. If you fit a coolant heater, make sure it has a pump in it; even if you fit it yourself, it's going to cost at least £250 unless you get a good second-hand one. £250 will buy a lot of diesel however, so see it in that light.
Assisting warm-up with engine "muff" type blankets/covers also will help and is very cost-effective.

Leedsman.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:59 PM

I've a 240v brand spanking new Engine heater that I bought back in yor days pre 2000 and it wants to go under my car. It is the same size as the diesel one that almost ruined my engine, god that was close, and would fit on mounting plate with a little jiggery pokkery. Cars getting worked on at moment and front is in the air.
But, I just can't remember which pipe is delivery to engine and vice versa.
Have at moment a hose in between the two pipes that come down from engine.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by goggs
I've a 240v brand spanking new Engine heater that I bought back in yor days pre 2000 and it wants to go under my car. It is the same size as the diesel one that almost ruined my engine, god that was close, and would fit on mounting plate with a little jiggery pokkery. Cars getting worked on at moment and front is in the air.
But, I just can't remember which pipe is delivery to engine and vice versa.
Have at moment a hose in between the two pipes that come down from engine.
how did it nearly ruin your engine??----------did it leak and lose coolant???
Nigel

Old 10-26-2014, 09:36 AM

On the '99 Dodge Ram we used to have, the Bosch injector pump was quite a weakness----apparently through lack of sufficient lubricant (since the 'cleaning-up of diesel fuel)-------Ram forums in US recommended extra lube--in the form of two-stroke oil----to add some extra lube to the pump----------after I spent over £1000 on a new pump I considered a bit of 2stroke to be a reasonable investment-----------
BUT I have been told that the oil may not pass through the fuel filter too well on our later model which is fitted with a newer/better pump, so I don't use it much now.-----------------Never had any signs of a problem using it in either truck---------I have only used 'fuel additive' in the GV
Nigel

Old 10-26-2014, 07:21 PM

That's interesting about the use (Or not use) in the GV oil burners! Who told you not to use the 2T oil in the fuel? What fuel additive hsve you been using instead?

Old 10-27-2014, 05:57 AM

I have used Redex diesel fuel additive------a friend who was an engineer at Cummins said that the oil MAY NOT go through a genuine filter as they are very fine.
Nigel

Quick Reply: who is using 2T in there fuel?