300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

1975 Chrysler imperial

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:34 PM
Default 1975 Chrysler imperial

Hi guys brand new to the site Iv got a 1975 Chrysler Imperial Le Baron ok so far so good question there are two cables (mechanical) one runs from gearbox to a unit another runs from the unit to the back of the speedo this unit is attached to the cruise control .. so the gear box turns the cable turns that translate to a gear turning in this unit whatever its called, and in turn that rotates the second or maybe the upper cable so activate the speedo dial needle What is the thing /unit the two cables enter and exit from called Thank you

Old 02-23-2018, 01:46 PM

Welcome, and my brining in an antiquity!A NICE ride in their day.
Been so long now since seeing that era of car, that I can't recall the proper (part ordering name) just remember calling it the cruise control "head". Something I never saw go bad, but saw lots of cables for them break inside the sheathing.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:24 PM

Thanks Ill see if in the past anybody ever posted on Google a name or picture of the said HEAD thing how do I post a photo

Old 02-23-2018, 02:30 PM

IF you examine it closely you should find a part # stamped on it, you could then use that to help in a Google search for it. Just what is the reason of your query?Does the CC not operate?

Old 02-23-2018, 02:40 PM

Im not sur eit does at this time I have been dealing with other issues and as their fixed I thought Id examine the thing after removing the cables from the thing I checked it was rotating and it was so I then pulled the gearbox inner cable out all the way to see if it had broken down the line ,it had not so replaced that one tried to remove the upper cable I think its called from the seedo unit thast wont come out as its fixed in place by design however the end I could see looked fine and gears in the thing are rotating so there can not be a break in the upper cable as it would pull out when asked to .so im after double checking the thing so i can be sure of its integrity.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:00 PM

From what you are describing, I would remove and check the speedometer drive gear down on the transmission that the one cable is hooked up to. That gear is known to wear out and stop any reading of the speedometer or cruise control function. Be careful on that part as they are usually color coded for final gearing ratio for speedo accuracy, someone may have install the wrong PLASTIC drive gear.

EDIT: I see that you are across the pond from me...Is this the same as a North American model?

Last edited by REBEL59; 02-23-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:40 PM

Old 02-23-2018, 03:43 PM

its on the bottom right of photo attached with the cruise control.yes its north american model .. and im after knowing what the unit is called so i can see how the two gears inside work and check the cables at both ends to see which i need to replace either upper cable or lower cable .

Old 02-23-2018, 03:59 PM

That is a pic of your actual ride?...Man that is beautiful!
So that I understand correct. The cable from the gearbox(transmission spins when car is put in gear and driven, but speedo does not show speed? OR is it that CC just does not work?
Try looking for it with the words cruise control SERVO MOTOR
IF just cruise is not working, there is a vacuum diaphragm That the throttle cable hooks onto inside that big plastic end, and I have seen those break or that diaphragm tear and cause no cruise control problem. it will not affect speedo reading though.