300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

1988 New Yorker w/ATC Blower Motor Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Default 1988 New Yorker w/ATC Blower Motor Control

Hello, and thanks for reading this.

I have searched the forums. Not just here, but about everywhere I've been able to find anything on an '88 New Yorker, and still can't seem to locate the information (I think) I am looking for. I have found lots of information with regard to this problem, but all of this only about later model Chryslers, like the Pacifica and the 300.

This car has ATC, the digital kind where you just set the temp at whatever and it does the rest. Of course, you can use manual, too. To limit my question, though, does anyone here know if this model has the equivalent part to the "blower motor resistor power module" that is talked about in relation to the 300, or the "blower control module" that is talked about in relation to some other later model Chryslers? Is this combined with the semi-triangular creature that has all the vacuum lines coming out of it? And if that's so, then what's the name of that creature?

I've been without heat for two years, and am really trying to resolve this. I have the entire interior on the right side taken apart. I've been able to confirm the blower motor definitely works. I've had the ATC out and opened and everything looks good (not that that means a lot, but still).

The problem began like every problem I've read about where the first answer is always "replace the blower motor resistor!" Except this car doesn't have one of these. First there was only high speed, and then it refused to turn off at all, regardless the ATC selection, so I was pulling the fuse to turn it off and on as needed, then it stopped altogether, and it's been a few cold winters now.

Of course, the ATC test sends back error codes (2,4,14, & 16) - but really - if I can get the thing to just switch on and off the blower, I'll just set things up by hand to have it always on defrost as this will be a real luxury in itself.

Anyway, any information at all that anyone can provide is obviously greatly appreciated. Just know that this car does not have a "blower motor resistor" that I have ever been able to find.

Thanks again.

Mark

Old 06-26-2011, 04:24 AM

You have a Bad blower resistor.........

Ok......back to reality.....

Yes there is a Blower control module. If I recalll correctly it was on the heater box , accessible from the Glovebox opening....Anything is possible, But I dont recall it ever being integrated with vacuum controls, but if in doubt....Follow the twisted pair of Green/Black wires. One end will be the blower Motor, The other end will be the Blower control Module.

As far as I know, Chrysler discontinued this part years ago, But it was called a Blower Control POWeR MODULE, and It was Unique to the Ny'er/dynasty/Imperial. The other ATC equipped cars had a different one.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:34 PM

Lol - good one! Even for the split second before I saw the smileys, and was like, oh no, are you serious!?!

Okay, thanks. Even though I cannot find listed for sale anywhere this part of which you speak, I have to admit that this is an area that has not yet been fully dissassembled. This is up above the glove and lower areas, and under the right dashboard. I was only able to trace by feel that twisted wire to where it penetrated the housing above. And then, from the front, wires come out of that vacuum center and up and then behind the upper harness, where I cannot see exactly where that twisted set of wires makes their junction, and whether there is some module between them.

I do know there is one connector up in this area, two 12g wires - this connects to another that has a couple pairs of GR/GR&WH, which seem sto jump up somewhere and then back down and I'm almost sure then back towards where that twisted pair ought to be. I don't have a multi-meter, but when I attach a LV tester to what appears to be the supply side of this connector and operate the variable speed fan switch on the dash ATC, the strength of the tester light will fade and increase with this operation. Nevertheless, the level of the tester light, even at fan full high, is not even 20%? of what the brightness is when I connect it straight to the glove box lamp supply and ground.

I wonder if this is indicating that the problem really does lie in the ATC.

In any case, okay, I am going to do my best to see up on top and exactly where that twisted motor supply leads as this seems to be the next logical step. Thanks so much again for taking the time to respond.

Oh, and yeah, I will be sure to tell you I have located the blower motor resistor the very instant I do!

Mark

Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Default Update, Additional Information

All right, I have managed to move things around enough and see some more.

I don't know if this will work or not, but if it does, here is a picture of what I have found along with some notes:

Also, for what it is worth, the diagnostic codes returned by the atc were 2, 4, 14, 16, 17. I haven't figured exactly what these mean yet, however, I have found something which may someday be helpful to someone else.

I think my problem may be with the thing Chrysler calls a Power/Vacuum Module (PVM). I am going to use this pdf for the 1988 Lebaron, which looks crazy close to my New Yorker. I don't know if this will let me post links, but if so, this is one cool, albeit specialized document for anyone who may ever need it:

http://www.grossbahn.de/chryslerleba...0automatic.pdf