300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

1995 Chrysler New Yorker 3.5 overheating at idle

Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Default 1995 Chrysler New Yorker 3.5 overheating at idle

Hi, new to the forums with a 1995 Chrysler New Yorker with a 3.5 that has an overheating problem at idle or low speeds.

I have replaced the radiator as well as the cooling fans, 2 different thermostats. New timing belt and water pump had already been installed before I was given the car.

The car does fine rolling down the highway even in 100+ degree heat. However, after just a few minutes at a long signal light or in stop and go traffic it will eventually over heat and push coolant out the tank.

The fans are wired at this time to come on when the ignition switch is turned on so they run all the time the engine is running.

Just finished a 900 mile trip with no coolant loss and no problems while rolling down the highway. While in some stop and go traffic it started to heat up so I turned off the a/c and turned the heater on with blower at full speed. We were able to get through the stop and go traffic doing this and once rolling again could turn the a/c back on.

While idling, hot with both fans running, the passenger side fan is throwing off lots of heat. The drivers side fan puts off lots of heat for about half the diameter of the fan, then the air is considerably cooler even though the temp gauge is rising. Left to idle long enough it will push coolant and over heat.

I'm not sure what else to do to it to try and make it cool. Can the water pump be not moving enough coolant at idle letting what is in the block take on more heat? Even though it is new?

I tried to find another person with a similar problem so I wouldn't have to ask, but really haven't found one that fits my predicament.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Roy

Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 PM

Well, think I got my answer. Think I have a cracked cylinder head. After running for a few minutes I get air out the vent on the thermostat housing. You let the air out till it's a solid stream of coolant and close it, in a few minutes there is air again.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:00 PM

Didn't know I found a dead forum on the internet. Interesting.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 PM

Breezy here today. Feeling a bit lonely.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Default 95 overheat

Hi
I drained and refilled the cooling system. The system is very hard to fill.
I spent a whole day trying to fill it. It would overheat just driving it a few blocks. each time I let it cool down I saw the resevoir needed water. Finally I was successful. Last year I had a good garage flush and fill. I will neer again try to drain and fill the cooling system again. There must be a special way to do this. Hope this helps ( 95 chry N.Y.)
regards

Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 AM

Thank you, but I would having head gasket issues after all. It is now running and doing well. Thanks for your suggestion, and this thing is a beast to fill.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Sorry, I can't type. I wound up with head gasket troubles.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 PM

I have a 1996 Chrysler LeBaron and when it idles it overheats so I did my research and I figured it could be the water pump I replace the water pump and during that process I had to disconnect the timing beltthen put the water pump onand reinstall the timing belt when I put everything back together I thought I was done but it didn't start and I'm wondering if it's because the timing is offI did not reset the timing nor move the camshaft how can I tell what's going on

Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 AM

What engine do you have? Is it a dual over head cam engine, or single? How did you make sure the cam shafts didn't move? Once the timing belt was on, did you check the timing marks on the cam sprockets and crank sprockets to make sure they all lined up?

Also, do you have a friend with a scanner that can see if you have both the crank sensor and cam sensors working?

Is fuel pump coming on when the switch is turned on?

Old 03-14-2014, 12:10 AM

Hey...i didn't check none of the timing marks but she. I did research on my car i understand it's easy to see the marks....my worry is do and how do i get it to top dead center (tdi)...it's a v6..fuel injected.....so that's duel cam right....excuse me but I'm a rookie do it your selfer.......any links on how to? Thanks ...you are a2some

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 Chrysler New Yorker 3.5 overheating at idle