300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

1999 LHS Drained Battery/Starting Issue/Alternator Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Default 1999 LHS Drained Battery/Starting Issue/Alternator Issue

Hi, I am new here, and signed up so I can find out information on my car. I am the second owner of a beautiful 1999 Chrysler LHS, this car is so nice inside and out, it was very well taken care of, but I got it at a deal because the Voltage light was on.

The previous owner said that he hadnt driven it in about 3 weeks before I bought it because a power issue, he suggested I replace the Alternator to fix the voltage light coming on. I had my mechanic install the alternator, he said after he installed the alternator and he test drove the car, the voltage light came on after about 5 minutes, then went off. When I picked up the car after the new alternator was replaced, I got about 5 miles and the car went into limp mode,I was so shocked, because I was going about 70mph on the freeway in the middle lane, and had to move over to the closest off ramp at about 25 mph. I tried to have the car jumped, but the cars power would just shut down within 5 minutes or so, so I had to leave the car overnight at a gas station.

The next day I went out and took the battery out to have it tested at autozone, they said it was bad, so I bought a new one, I put in the new battery, ..and accidentally locked myself out of the car while it was running,..yeah im an idiot for that. By the time a family member could come bring me the spare key to get into the car, the battery had drained, and the car shut down, it took about 50 minutes from the time I started the car with the new battery in it and locked myself out, till it died. I then had to take out the battery, and take it back up to Autozone to have it charged, they did that, I then put the charged battery back in the car, and we drove it home, during that time the voltage light did not come on, but I disconnected the negative anyways, just in case the battery drained over night.

Today I took the car to autozone, it drove fine and the lights did not flicker or anything, but right when i got there for them to test the alternator, the voltage light came on, and the woman said the alternator was bad, by testing it while it was in the car. When I got home I followed all the wires coming from the battery, and found some wires that were frayed, and 1 that was completely disconnected, I reconnected it and drove it around and was so stoked that the light did not come on, then it started coming on and off intermitadly, so I guess I have a bad ground somewhere? or maybe the alternator is actually bad, or maybe the wires I found, even after reconnecting them dont really matter, because they dont affect my battery charging or not. Anywhoo, I know this is really long, but I thought more information is better then not enough. Any help is greatly appreciated, as it could potentially save me money and time. So thank you if you read all this. and feel free to ask me more questions.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the wire I found that was completely eroded apart, it is blue/black in color, it was connected to a plastic square lookin thing that was connected to a round thing that had a belt on it, I think this is where power from the alternator comes from and splits, and one cable goes to the negative battery post.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

To

This is one wire coming from the positive battery post it goes up and splits into 2.