300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

2002 Chrysler Concorde A/C Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Default 2002 Chrysler Concorde A/C Issue

I have a 02 Chrysler Concorde that is about to drive me crazy. I recently had to do some repairs, which included replacing the condensor, accumulator, & the evaporator. In the process of making the repairs, I flushed out the remaining hoses/lines to make sure nothing was in them.

Before re-charging the system, I pulled a vacuum on the system to check for leaks ....didn't see any issues. I started the vehicle, turned on the A/C & and began to charge with freon. The compressor kicked on as I expected it to do, however I noticed neither radiator fan came on. I realized the engine had not heated up yet, so maybe the computer hadn't found a need to activate them. The one thing I noticed is that the high pressure side of the compressor started to get pretty hot. Took a while to get the first can into the system(12 oz). After the engine ran for some time, I began to charge the second can. The compressor's pressure relief valve (mounted on the rear) spit out a burst of freon and then re-closed. I felt the rear pressure (high side) again and noticed once again it seem hotter than what I thought it should be.

i then checked the fan relays by replacing the hi/low one and then the hi fan relay......as I had a few extra ones on available. No change......fans still not running. By this time, my temperature gauge was half way up the temp scale and holding.

During this time, the a/c didn't really feel very cool. I "thought" that at minimum, one of my cars radiator fans should be running. Smart or not, I removed the hi speed fan relay and jumpered it to make it run. Immediately, the a/c air became cooler, the freon charge on the second can went in so much better.

With all of this being said, I wanted to know when my radiator fans are supposed to come on. Which sensor contro their operation, is it possible for the temperature gauge to read correctly on the inside of the vehicle and have another temperature gauge issue that would not allow the fans to cycle correctly.

I am positive I do not have any restrictions in my system, but from what I can see, the fans aren't coming on........to pull air through my condensor....therefore causing the freon to heat up too much which increases the overall pressure.

Help! I am at a loss as to what I need to do to check and see why this car is not activating the high speed fan relay.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 PM

the freon you bought from autozone is crap first of all
and i think you probably put too much in. from what you have said i think the high pressure sensor for your cars ac is bad. that is why your ac isnt cold and why the pressure relief valve blew. As far as the car being warm or cold when the ac is turned on the fans will run when the pressure reaches a certain pressure. as fars as which sensor controls the fans both the coolant temperature sensor and the high side pressure sensor controls the radiator fans. hope this is at all helpful

Old 03-21-2010, 12:00 AM

the freon you bought from autozone is crap first of all
and i think you probably put too much in. from what you have said i think the high pressure sensor for your cars ac is bad. that is why your ac isnt cold and why the pressure relief valve blew. As far as the car being warm or cold when the ac is turned on the fans will run when the pressure reaches a certain pressure. as fars as which sensor controls the fans both the coolant temperature sensor and the high side pressure sensor controls the radiator fans. hope this is at all helpful

Old 03-21-2010, 12:01 AM

sorry my computer froze and it posted twice