300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

93 NYker dies immediately after start

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Default 93 NYker dies immediately after start

Looking for some help / information.

My mom has a 93 New Yorker (3.3L auto), a couple days ago she shut it off and noticed a burned smell coming from under the hood.

The car wouldn't start back up, the burned smell was coming from an electronic piece mounted on the front of the left fender (intake air flows thru it) I have no idea what it's called (and couldn't find it on all data).

Long story short, I found a donor car, swapped the boxes, now moms car will start but only run for 2-3 seconds (would not start at all previously).

I can't find anything that leads me to believe the car is equipped with anti theft.

The car is getting spark (it will run 2-3, and if you squirt fuel in the air intake it will run longer). If I jump the relay and keep the F/P running it still dies (shutting down the injectors?????).

When I check the CPS I can see .03 volts, will spike once or twice to 5v, but after it gets cranking I don't see anything higher than .08. I'm not sure if this is becase the engine is rotating quickly or if the cam position sensor is defective).
Should I be able to see the 5v with the engine cranking or do I need to turn by hand?

What is the box on the front L fender?

The CEL will not work so I wasn't able to get codes, I'll take my scanner out there today and see what if anything shows up. Meantime, anything I should be taking a look at?

Thanks in advance.