300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

98 concorde a/c stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Default 98 concorde a/c stuck

Looking for some help here. I know just enough to get me in trouble. Replaced a/c evap coil and heater core last year. (yep, it was a blast) All worked fine until a couple months ago. A/C temp is stuck on cold. Kinda weird since it doesn't have a heater control valve. Automatic air, doesn't matter what temp it is set to, only gets cold. Blend doors seem to function normally since air direction changes as required. ATC code 36 on the panel (but had that last year before changing the evap too). Tried changing the ATC from a 2k concorde. No difference. Thinking it could be pcm, but nothing else seems to be affected. Ideas would be helpful. I think I'm stuck.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:54 PM

My 99 Intrepid was the opposite,nothing but heat.The blend door motor quit working and its on back order.Took 2 of the 3 screws out and dropped it down and swiveled it out of the way,poked a small hole in the box that contains the door and stuck a screwdriver about 12 inches long and stuck it up under the carpet to keep it positioned right.Might not be your problem just a thought.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:59 PM

Nevermind what i posted didnt read it correctly.Is the temp control manual or ecectronic? I have an electronic control panel that I took out of my 99 Intrepid that I would give u just pay shipping,I thought it was bad because the blower ran all the time,turned out to be blower resistor,duh.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:52 PM

I appreciate the offer. I might take you up on it. It does have Automatic air. I picked up an ATC panel from LKQ out of a 00 concorde. I guess I have no way to test it. Put it in, didn't make a difference. Latest is that I picked up a blend door actuator from the dealer (so i had a new one). plugged it in but it's not moving. My thought was that it would at least turn the gear as the temperature was changed on the panel so it would move the blend door to mix evap and heater core air. No such luck. Everything else works fine. All directional buttons do what they are supposed to, so those actuators are working properly.
Intersting though, when I pulled the actuator, the blend door shut and moved it to hot. Good timing since it's cooling off now. But it's baffeling as to why that actuator is not getting communication from the panel. Harness exam looks fine. Any other ideas would be helpful.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:25 PM

RacinRob4, and all others: It's fixed. Found some interesting info in a TSB. I will paste that info at the end. It turned out to be the blend door actuator, but also had to "relearn" the system, which is explained in the info below. Point is, it all works and it's all back together. Woohoo! I'm a happy camper. Now I get to get my kids' cars fixed. Here's the TSB info:
Service BulletinNUMBER: 24-002-04 REV. AGROUP: Heating & A/CDATE: July 30, 2004THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 24-002-04, DATED MARCH 30, 2004, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES . ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES ADDITIONAL MODEL YEAR.SUBJECT:A/C and Heater PerformanceOVERVIEW:This bulletin provides diagnostic information for A/C and heater performance complaints.MODELS:1998 - 2004 (LH) LHS/300M/Concorde/Intrepid2001 - **2005** (JR) Sebring Convertible/Sebring Sedan/Stratus SedanNOTE :Perform Customer Satisfaction Notification no. 857, reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM), for 2000 model year LH-vehicles built prior to August 30, 1999 (MDH 0830XX).SYMPTOM/CONDITION:Erratic operation of the A/C and heater systems including:^ Lack of cold air^ Lack of hot air^ Unrequested mode change - Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) only)^ No control of mode or temperature control^ Tapping noise from blend doorThe above Symptoms may be accompanied by the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):^ Blend door feedback^ Blend door stall^ A/C control mode door input shorted to battery^ Mode door stall^ In car temp sensor failure ATC messages not receivedDIAGNOSIS:^ Do not attempt to remove A/C control until after this entire Diagnosis and Repair Procedure has been performed.^ Verify customer reported symptom(s) if possible.^ Check for the presence of DTCs with the scan tool (DRBIII(R)) and record on the repair order. If a DRBIII(R) is not available reference the appropriate Service Manual - Heating and Air Conditioning "Self Diagnostics" procedure and record any present DTCs on the repair order. If Symptoms and/or DTCs other than those listed above are present, repair as necessary. If a Symptom(s) and/or DTC(s) listed above is present, perform the Repair Procedure.REPAIR PROCEDURE:1. With the vehicle at room temperature 10°- 27°C. (50°to 80°F.), remove the M-1 circuit fuse for ten minutes to erase DTCs.2. Install the M-1 fuse and start the vehicle, this will initiate the HVAC system calibration. Allow approximately five minutes for the calibration to complete.3. Operate the vehicle and HVAC system to verify that Symptoms and/or DTCs are gone. If tapping noise or Blend Stall/Feedback DTCs re-occur, additional diagnosis will be required.POLICY:Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty