Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/300m-concorde-lhs-new-yorker-19/)
-   -   99 Concorde - Intermittent Cut-Out / Stalling (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/300m-concorde-lhs-new-yorker-19/99-concorde-intermittent-cut-out-stalling-16800/)

MadDog_ 02-09-2012 08:17 AM

99 Concorde - Intermittent Cut-Out / Stalling

I have a 99 Concorde, 2.7L engine, 130K miles.

I've noticed while driving at highway speeds, I'd occasionally have a momentary hesitation, and have had a couple of occasions where the engine would just cut-out (stall) while at idle.

Yesterday on a 100 mile trip, the engine stalled 3 times while at highway speed, just instantly dropping out without warning, a first.

Is there an obvious suspect or place where I should be looking? I can't figure out if it's something with the ignition or fuel supply. If it matters, it's been very wet and damp here the last couple of days, so I don't know if there might be a connection.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

CHRYSLER TECH 02-09-2012 08:38 AM

chk the codes in the computer first

MadDog_ 02-09-2012 01:03 PM

I checked the codes, and the only one that shows up is a P1684, which I find puzzling because the battery hasn't been disconnected recently.

Where do I go from here?

MadDog_ 03-04-2012 09:45 AM

Anyone have any clue as to how I'd go about troubleshooting this? I'm still experiencing this problem.

Thank you.

CHRYSLER TECH 03-04-2012 07:47 PM

have some one with a better scanner look at it

MadDog_ 03-04-2012 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH (Post 59454)
have some one with a better scanner look at it

How do I go about finding a resource with that capability?

CHRYSLER TECH 03-04-2012 10:12 PM

most shops will have it

MadDog_ 03-09-2012 05:10 AM

I finally took it in and had a mechanic fix it. Turns out it was the crank sensor, which he said was fairly common. His initial thinking was that it could also have been the cam sensor. I'm not sure how he figured out which one it was, but he did, and I'm damn glad it's fixed.

lovenhate300m 03-16-2012 12:18 AM

Hi MadDog and Kevin, Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm having the same problem. Was the check engine light on when your mechanic looked at it? Did he hook it up the computer? Can you please find out how he figured out it was the crankshaft sensor? Also, how do you know for sure that it's fixed?

Originally Posted by MadDog_ (Post 59667)
I finally took it in and had a mechanic fix it. Turns out it was the crank sensor, which he said was fairly common. His initial thinking was that it could also have been the cam sensor. I'm not sure how he figured out which one it was, but he did, and I'm damn glad it's fixed.

MadDog_ 03-16-2012 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by lovenhate300m (Post 59956)
Hi MadDog and Kevin, Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm having the same problem. Was the check engine light on when your mechanic looked at it? Did he hook it up the computer? Can you please find out how he figured out it was the crankshaft sensor? Also, how do you know for sure that it's fixed?

My check engine light was NOT on. He hooked it up to the computer and I know he found out it was something with the ignition. I don't know how he was able to ID the crankshaft sensor, but I haven't had a hiccup since, so I consider this SOLVED.