300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Ack! Please help! A socket fell and bounced down a hole in the front of the engine.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Default Ack! Please help! A socket fell and bounced down a hole in the front of the engine.

Thank you for seeing if you can help me! I'm sorry I don't have a picture to post, I know that would make this much easier. Hopefully later today or tomorrow I can take one with a friend and post it here. Anyways I was loosening my air bleeder valve for the coolant system on my 3.5l Chrysler Concorde 1997, and a socket fell down and bounced off the box that holds the ac condenser belt and the power steering and alternator belt, and bounced behind it down this dark hole that seems like it really ought to have been covered, and it seems to have some how bounced down another hole or something because I cant see it and gotten somewhere where its banging around when I turn on my car so I turned it off right away and I'm feeling totally screwed. Anyone know where this hole leads?

Its kinda behind the AC condenser but it seems to go down deep after a turn.

I feel like it was a 1 in a million shot like the photon torpedo into the death star. The car is cursed, right after I fixed it from wrecking it in my first crash (as I was exiting the freeway to take a nap cause I was too tired to drive), which took a long time because I had never worked on a car before, I've been driving my just fixed car like 50 miles, and BAM someone hits me on the freeway out of nowhere. Then just as I'm finishing fixing it from that this socket just gets sucked down this hole of doom by dark magick.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:50 PM

Hey, SO Im stuck without a car in the pouring rain until someone on here helps me out I have no idea what to do. questions or comments please!

Old 11-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

u have a better chance having someone local look at it online help with it went down a HOLE is really and i mean really bleek. no pics and or other info sorry guy U are SOL. Get another set of eyes and start taking things apart till u find it.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:49 PM

Name:  image_zpsbffd8331.jpeg
Views: 257
Size:  78.3 KB

Old 12-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Ok got my friends help and took some pics here is one with the grabber I bought going down the hole. I also bought a magnet small enough to grab with the grabber to fit down the hole but it pulled up nothing.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

that area is just the valley between the two heads nothing is movin down there so it wont mak any noise like you say. The lower intake and then nothing but upper engine block.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:42 PM

Thank you so much for the help! I'm a little confused by your answer though because it really seems like its the socket in there that is making the noise, it wasn't making this particular noise before and I don't see how getting the air out of the coolant system would have started it. It sounds a lot like it could be the socket clattering around. Where does the lower intake lead? the name sounds like it would have moving parts in it. can you think of anywhere it could have possibly bounced in there that might cause problems? Even if it is just a 1 in a million chance, then it probably happened. Is it even possible to take off the timing belt box to get behind it?

Thank you so much I am relieved to get some feedback.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

the upper manifold then lower manifold then engine block