300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Concorde 98 3.2 white smoke out the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 12:50 AM
Default Concorde 98 3.2 white smoke out the exhaust

I am new and , also rather new at repairing my Concorde's issues.

Today, after replacing my proportioning valve, bleeding the breaks (twice as I panicked and thought the white smoke was caused by my repair) I started to get more and more white smoke.

My wife told me that she also saw white smoke a day or to ago in the morning as she drove to work.

Now, my mechanic has replaced my water pump, about two months ago, but since then we did drive it daily with no problems and took two trip to miami and Helen, GA (700 miles and 900 miles trips)

The car was fine, indeed, on the last trip, Helen, with full trunk and 4 people load it did hesitate at 60-70 miles a couple of times when accelerating , a lot more hesitation than her usual hesitation from time to time before. Nothing bad, and I just thought it was the 170k miles that it has plus that having the hp both myself and wife take off a bit fast, and when doing it slow the hesitation seemed to disappear.

I read that white smoke is usually blown head gasket but..... how could i bee sure. The thing is before the trips i checked, and since the last GA trip, about two weeks ago, i did check levels and both oil and coolant seemed fine.

Oil seemed a bit low since oil change but oil change being before , i figured with daily driving we are getting close to 3000k so...

I did not see any oil leaks or coolant leaks.

So any possibility it could be from brakes?....or definitively no....

Also beside the white smoke I also heard a clunk clunk and some rough idling, and some clunk when shutting car of.. I left, did not test drive brakes, just drove it off ramps, and I will check all levels again in the morning....

What should i look offer? to diagnose white smoke... and the clunk...which was not that loud and continuous...

Also the card did not throw a code, nor did it over heated...

Old 07-31-2011, 01:19 PM

update....

as I said levels were all good, i took it for a highway test....it had some smoke i could see in rear view untill i drove a bit at 70 mph....smoke seemed to disappear smell to... No it seems to not make much smoke, but when I broke really really hard, taking off a bit fast from braking hard I hear the definite clunk clunk clunk , engine kinda studering not wanting to pick up and some smoke again....not as much as before but it seemed to have been doing it, for the return part of the drive only after breaking...and less and less with each hard brake...it seemed.

now it should be ok to drive right........

i think I will just leave it like this today and just try to observe it for the next couple of days see what it will do.....

Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Default White Smoke and a head gasket

Ok here's what you need to look for.....oily streaks in your antifreeze or vice versa weird streaks in your oil

Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 PM

is it using coolant, not leaking somewhere but using it?