300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Crankshaft Position Sensor advice, please?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor advice, please?

Hi! My question(s) relate to a 2003 Concorde LXI

I am doing a bit of research on behalf of my parents-in-law. Well, they're actually my former parents-in-law, but let's not quibble the small stuff.

My starter just went out on my car with absolutely no warning, and Mom B was kind enough to loan me her car tonight so I can get to work tomorrow. As I was about to walk away with the keys, she had to warn me how to react to an issue her car has. She says it jumps, acts like it's out of gas, and that I should take my foot off the gas and pull over, wait for it to settle down. She also stated that her son (my ex husband) told her he'd had it checked out and they told her it's the crankshaft position sensor. Since I know her son rather well, I just feel the urge to sort of... well, you know. Check to see if that's likely. Heh.

I asked her why they hadn't replaced the part yet, she said they can only get their parts from the dealership in town, and it's going to cost them $125 or so. I immediately came home and got on rockauto.com, only to find there are 3 brands available (all under $15 before T/S/H).

The thing is, when I was looking for sensors for my own car (Mercury Sable) I came against the same problem with finding the part I needed; only available locally at the dealership, for about the same money.

I joined a forum looking for advice, and learned about a huge camshaft synchronizer issue (which developed not long after I'd procured the car). But folks on the forum were warning against a specific brand, and the reasons why. I was lucky to have found their advice before I needed it. I would have fallen prey and been in quite a deep pickle... with a doorstop for a motor.

So, although I don't own a Chrysler, I wanted to come here and ask advice on this part for two sweet people I simply could not and would not give up in the divorce.

The choices are as follow:

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PC425 More Info
$14.15

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S1931 {#4609153AD, 4609153AE, 4727451AA, SU3315}
$14.23

ACDELCO Part # 2132507 {#2132484, 89054245} replaces 213-2484 SENSOR,CR/SHF POSN
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 5 business days
$14.84

If anyone has a warning against any of these brands, especially regarding this part, I'd really appreciate a heads up. I'm hoping to give them the good news of a very inexpensive part tomorrow. I'd call them now, but I wanted to try to find out if I should recommend a specific one, first.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Gypsy

Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 PM

Do as you wish...I cant stop you.......And I wont even Try......

BUT.......

Chrysler cars and trucks Are VERY picky about what you use for ignition Parts. In all the years I have been doing this....EVERY SINGLE AFTERMARKET CRANK SENSOR has returned inside of a Month with the same issue.....I have a Jeep In the shop at this very moment....It has been to 4 shops in town, had 4 Crank sensors installed.....And Now I have it with a Bad Crank sensor...... A Factory sensor was installed and its fixed waiting to be picked up.....

The cheap price may seem enticing...but I can almost PROMISE it will bite you in the end.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Do as you wish...I cant stop you.......And I wont even Try......

BUT.......

Chrysler cars and trucks Are VERY picky about what you use for ignition Parts. In all the years I have been doing this....EVERY SINGLE AFTERMARKET CRANK SENSOR has returned inside of a Month with the same issue.....I have a Jeep In the shop at this very moment....It has been to 4 shops in town, had 4 Crank sensors installed.....And Now I have it with a Bad Crank sensor...... A Factory sensor was installed and its fixed waiting to be picked up.....

The cheap price may seem enticing...but I can almost PROMISE it will bite you in the end.

I should call the dealership tomorrow and ask them for brand/part number, huh? {facepalm}

Unless... YOU know what it is?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:37 PM

Do-able...... What engine is in the car?????

My god....Mercury sable Cam Synchronizers......... I'd all but forgotten about those.......Did it break, or did it just squeal like a stuck pig????

Actually a PRIME example of why I said what I did about FACTORY PARTS.... I hate to sound like a salesman pushing a brand name...But there are Many cases where anything but what the MFR called for....Just wont do....

Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 PM

Do-able...... What engine is in the car?????

My god....Mercury sable Cam Synchronizers......... I'd all but forgotten about those.......Did it break, or did it just squeal like a stuck pig????

Actually a PRIME example of why I said what I did about FACTORY PARTS.... I hate to sound like a salesman pushing a brand name...But there are Many cases where anything but what the MFR called for....Just wont do....
In answer to the first... because I had already read an entire (hundreds of posts) thread, then another, and another... I was prepared. The second I heard "the belt squeal", I paid attention to where the noise was actually coming from. Imagine my surprise when the noise didn't originate from the belt! LoL I would never have noticed that without being forearmed with the knowledge to watch for it.

I pissed off two mechanics and four parts store clerks during that month, being insistent. The latter tried everything in their power to convince me it was perfectly safe to buy that cheaper part. Guess who made it? Mmm hmmm. Not on your life, buddy. They'd never even heard of the issue. I gave them links to multiple threads on multiple sites.

The mechanic I took it to for the synchronizer was highly recommended, but he was also mad. He eyeballed it and pronounced it good. I told him "Dude. You have to pull it out and inspect it to see the problem." He didn't appreciate that, I gotta tell ya. Not even a lil bit. He didn't want to have to deal with having to line it back up because he didn't have the tool. I printed instructions on how to do it without the tool and took them to him. He hated me, truly hated me. Imagine his surprise when, after he had it out, the issue was evident. I was right - it was on its way to failure, without doubt. He hated me some more. Ha! Thank you, enthusiast forum! My motor will continue to run!

I educated some locals on the topic, believe me. Not all of them liked me for it.

Oh, nearly forgot; It has the 3.0L OHV V6 Vulcan and the AX4N tranny.

As to the second... honey, that's exactly why I am here. There are some parts that it just doesn't matter much who made it as long as it's decent quality. There are many, many parts that just HAVE to be THE part to avoid major issues later. I have done a lot of reading since buying the Sable. When the smallest thing pops up, I look for info. I look for evidence of complaint threads, and then I read them thoroughly. If there are a lot... I find it improbable that that many people reporting details and posting pictures of damage are full of sheeet.

The folks on "my" site are wonderful and have given me much, much excellent advice on many things since my purchase. But they don't drive Chryslers. Here I am!

One of the reason I'm shopping around for evidence of discussion on the topic is that I'm very concerned that their problem is different/more than just a crankshaft position sensor. I have no idea why, I just am. A forgotten memory, perhaps... but I think there might be something different going on. I have no clue where to begin to find out more, though, other than to find other folks who drive them and pick their brains.

Oh, and I was doing some reading on a thread elsewhere (following links Google gave me), and so far there is one very strong vote to stay away from Wells products. I'll tuck that vote away for future reference. That's really all I've found so far.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:51 PM

It hit me as soon as I posted... I'm not sure if you were asking for my motor or Mom's.
Mom's is: 3.5L V6 SOHC 24V

It's past my bedtime, and it's becoming more obvious by the minute. Time for personal battery recharge. {laughing}

Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 PM

Does anyone know whether this site can be trusted to sell true OEM parts?

Chrysler Concorde Parts - Chrysler Parts Dept

Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 PM

04609153AE or 04727451AA . It doesnt tell me what the difference is but it does list both as "Possible".....

Old 06-29-2011, 05:44 AM

04609153AE or 04727451AA . It doesnt tell me what the difference is but it does list both as "Possible".....
Thank you... I assume those are parts numbers? If yes, what is the brand?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:21 AM

Mopar.... Chrysler parts division.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Position Sensor advice, please?