300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

EMCC question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:38 AM
Question EMCC question

Hello,
I have read that EMCC will only engage when you are driving constant speed and oil has operational temperature.
But how it it with 2nd gear EMCC? Will it engage automatically, when the oil is hot, even when the car is still and I change with autostick to 2nd or it is needed to reach some speed? I am asking because of my codes P1776 an P1790 and P0755 I think. It is happening only when the car is heated up, first fault turn up when I am constantly over 43 MPH, it doesnt matter whether on 3rd or 4th gear, the transmission goes to llimp mode. Second fault I noticed also when car is hot, but still and I try to change gears with autostick 1-2-3 and want to go back 3-2-1, I cant gear 1st, only 2-3, I must go to reverse and the back to 1st. The only difference between cold and hot gearing that comes into my mind is EMCC and also P1776 has some relation with EMCC. And is there any wire specially only for engaging EMCC that could be broken? I am asking because I want to reclaim the valve body that was replaced in Chrysler, it was remanufactured one and I suspect it could be bad. Thanks

Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

what is an EMCC???

Old 01-02-2011, 10:45 AM

Electro magnetic clutch converter, it is engaged when you are driving constant speed, it locks up clutch converter to prevent clutch from slipingp to get better mpg. The car is 2002 300M. I am not expert, thats only what I have read in FSM and internet.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

there is no such thing on a Chrysler U have a TCC a Torque converter Clutch
are u getting a code 740? did they replace the solenoid pack as well when they did the valve body?

Old 01-02-2011, 03:53 PM

sorry it does mean "Electronically Modulated Converter Clutch" , thats how it is written in FSM, probably they meant like you said TCC. There was replaced, valve body, solenoid pack, PCM, clutches, oil pump I think. Codes were

P1776-solenoid switch valve latched in LR position
P1790-FAULT IMMEDIATELY AFTER SHIFT
P0750-LR Solenoid Circuit
P0755-2/4 Solenoid Circuit

the transmission runs fine except the conditions I wrote above.
I noticed when I change to 2nd gear when hot, there is some extra buzz except normal solenoid sound, like it gears into 2nd and then want to do some extra action and get stuck. Could this also have to do something with transmission cooler leakage, because there are always few drops under the car, or bent lines so it doesnt have sufficient pressure or something? I looked at shifting schemes and there is full pressure in cooler only when the CC or EMCC is on.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

if the dealer replaced the valve body for those codes was this an issue b4 it was replaced or is it still the same thing also did u pay them to diog it or just tell them to replace the valve body?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 AM

This repairs were done by previous owner, I bought it like that, so cant tell you if the codes were the same.