300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Need help fast.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Default Need help fast.

Hi guys.

so we've been messing with a 1996 chrysler concorde 3.5L, for about a week now, and we have a no start, no spark. It cranks. We have signal, power and ground at crank and cam sensor. We have power to our coils, but no signal to coil. We've tested continuity in wires, looked for loose grounds. We've tried everything time and time again. It cranks fine, and you can hear fuel pump turn on, and there's pressure in the fuel lines. since we had signal, and fuel pump, we didn't think it was auto shut down.

We tried to just throw in a crank sensor last night for ****s because we're at our wits end, and whats better than throwing parts at it?
...no luck.

so we thought it had to be the ignition module in the PCM, we got one from the junk yard, and its not working either? Do you have to unhoook the battery and clear the codes or anyting with the PCM??

the flash diagnostics only gave us a low battery code.

What could we have missed? any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Default RE: Need help fast.

oops, never mind on the reply.

the question still stands.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

alright based off what u posted and it is all correct get a spark tester if u have not done so it will hook inline to the plug and wire turn it over and see if u get a flashing light. From the sound of it u do have a bad PCM but a junk yard one wont do u ne good because it has to be vin programed inorder to run. Plus it has to be the same PCM that u took it out of. But b4 u go spend some money on an expensive PCM look for this stuff get a Volt meter if u dont have one 20 bucks at an auto parts store will do. I will upload several wiring diagrams inorder do this. First pic with the Key on at either the cam or crank sensor look for the 5v supply same pic with key on check the OHMS to the pcm on the sensor ground ckt it should be 60 Ohms. If u dont have either one U need a PCM OOO one other thing make sure u have check all your fuses first key on. and u say u have Auto shut down power correct?
Next look at Coil pack wires
IGNITION COIL PACK CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION 1 K18 20RD IGNITION COIL NO. 3 DRIVER 2 K19 20BK IGNITION COIL NO. 1 DRIVER 3 A142 16DG/OR AUTO SHUT DOWN RELAY OUTPUT 4 K17 20WT IGNITION COIL NO. 2 DRIVER
key on ASD will have 12 volts turn the key over to start and any one of the drivers should flash this is with a test light volt meater 12 volts on off.
Let me know PS if u need a PCM u will haft to have some on program it aka the dealer or some one with a high end scanner or it might not even start. The instructions with the new PCM will tell u. Good luck

Old 03-16-2007, 11:25 PM

thanks man.

we've tested all the signal wires and they are all good. We've looked at coil pack wires a million times, we have signal and battery power, tried jumping the wires, tested continuity anything and everything....nothing.

how do I check the entire ground circuit?I Believe we have power at auto shut down, we'd almost have to if we have fuel pump, crank and cam sensor.

how much will a PCM run me, I have access to a High end scanner, but you probably n eed the chrysler tech website though right?

Old 03-17-2007, 12:00 AM

oh btw. its a 1996, you sure its VIN written? I thought they didn't start doing that until 2000.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

yeah sure its vin written benn doing that sence SBEC 1 computers have been out in 94
I forgot the pic

[IMG]local://upfiles/1033/C9F41A36B4BD4BBE9DC0FEF4D0730A10.gif[/IMG]

Old 03-17-2007, 02:01 AM

how do i test the entire ground circuit?

it almost has to be the PCM.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

i told u the ground u are looking at for the cam and crank it inside the PCM via a ground filter when the pcm is powered up it will make a 60ohm restance for the ckt to work when the key is off it will be 0

Old 03-17-2007, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: CHRYSLER TECH

i told u the ground u are looking at for the cam and crank it inside the PCM via a ground filter when the pcm is powered up it will make a 60ohm restance for the ckt to work when the key is off it will be 0
okay, so if thats is within spec, where do we go from there.

if its above 60ohm, where do we want to go?

thanks.

p.s. thats from the pcm ground back to any ground right?

Old 03-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

if possable black lead to batt ground and the other end to the sensor ground on which ever connector u have taken off. if they are with in spec check the coil pack drivers like i said in a few posts back

Quick Reply: Need help fast.