300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Need Magic for Locked Door

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Default Need Magic for Locked Door

Hi

Hope there is a magician among all of you. Chrysler 300M, 2000 with locked rear drivers side door. I have been able to remove the trim panel and can see the assembly. There are three control rods going to the assembly. One from the interior lock release, which does not release the lock, one from the interior door handle which moves but does nothing and one from the exterior door handle which also moves but does nothing. There is a wiring connector on the top of this and the wires are available to examine. I can also see and move the child restraint lever but no good effect from that. Anyone know how to get this disengaged short of a great deal of body work? Also, are there any cutaway photos or drawings of these things available anywhere?

Thanks

Old 03-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

u waited to long to replace the door locks because they were buzzing right? now they are locked and wont open?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:53 PM

How could you have guessed? Schreeched about three times before going south. We just bought the car so really did not know what was up til a bit late. It has 78000 original miles and is really nice but lock problem sucks. Any idea how to proceed? I know that I can cut a slot in the door and get to the U latch that the door latch engages and saw it off with a thin diamond toothed hacksaw blade. Seems a bit Neanderthal though. I have spoken to a number of Chrysler mechanics and they basicly say, "tough problem."

Thanks

Old 03-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

yeah basically u haft to fight with it U will never get to the latch bolts that are in the door unless the door is opened up Just fight with it as much as u can to free it up

Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM

Thanks Kevin. I was afraid that might be the case. Any hope of finding a cutaway diagram or photo of one of these locks to see how the internals are arranged? I do find it to be an unusually poor design when the manual lock - unlock can be disabled by an electrical malfunction. Sounds like a serious safety problem in some circumstances.

Thanks again.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:57 PM

That sounds Dangerous and there was no Recall on this ?

Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 PM

Thread of the week right here.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

there is not a disable issue from anything electrical on the door latches the only thing that will be disabled and its mechanical is the child safety from the inside.

as for a recall a recall is a safety issue when an item failed and U can not open the door due to non replacement of failing part there is nothing that can or should be done by a manufacture.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:46 AM

Hi Folks

I am still trying to discover if anyone knows of an Internet site or publication that has a cutaway drawing or photo of a cutaway of this lock assembly that might give me some guidance in figuring out how to approach getting it unlocked and out of the car. It is hard for me to say whether or not this is a Chrysler safety issue since I have no idea of what failure has caused the manual lock unlock to be unsresponsive. If it is a once in a million internal part failure then hardly a Chrysler problem but if it is a likely occurance due to bad design then maybe Chrysler has an issue that should be resolved. I spoke with a service department head in Phoenix about this issue and he noted that a 2011 Jeep had been in the shop with exactly the same problem. They basicly brute forced the thing out by drilling and grinding on it, breaking the window in the process. He was rather distraught by the difficulty they had getting the thing out of the Jeep. Really not looking forward to that approach to fixing mine. Again, thanks to all of you for your advice about this. I will post here as I try to figure out what to do and let you all know how it goes - I may must decide to live with a locked door rather than butcher the thing getting the lock latch assembly out.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

there is not anything from any manufacture that will show what the inside look like the only way would be if some one took it upon there self to do it and besides it wont do u much good any way U will more then likely haft to cut it off from the inside to get it to loosen up. Its an electrical part that has frozen itself shut and will not move because of the latching being frozen U may or may not have had this issue for long but never the less its a used car and it will have issue the person b4 u had it knew about this and did not care to fix it so now its your issue to dealer with.

Quick Reply: Need Magic for Locked Door