300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

New wheels for 2000 LHS

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Default New wheels for 2000 LHS

I'm buying my in-law's 2000 LHS, and I will have to replace two chrome wheels, because the tires will not hold air pressure; they go flat within hours. My in-law tells me he's had it in a few tire shops and they all tell him that there's nothing they can do, something to do with the chrome peeling. The other two wheels are just fine, but I have to wonder if it's just a matter of time with these as well.

Is this a common problem with all chrome wheels? Or just the ones they use on the LHS? I would rather not replace all four wheels, but if I did, should I consider switching to the silver wheels? For economical reasons, I plan on finding the replacements in a local JY.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:41 AM

Unfortunatly yes this is common the the second generation LH platform Chrysler product. Wheels have a tendancy to "rot" on the bead area inside the wheel and leak. If you have the time and resources you may be able to slow the process. I have had some luck cleaning, wire brush and sand the rim. Spray with a self etching prime then top coating with a stainless steel paint. Many layers, sanding between coats until bead area is smooth. Once mounted using nitrogen to fill if available (dry air at most tire shops like Costco) no moisture to promote rott from re occuring.
Bead sealer may help also but stay away from those "Slime" type sealers, wont work on bead leak...

Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. Time is one thing I don't have an abundance of, and the clincher is that this car will be used by my son to get him to school on the other side of the state. So, I'm looking to replace with "new" wheels. Are the problems limited to only the chrome, or to the "silver" wheels as well?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:15 AM

Have not heard if issues with the silver painted wheels like the chrome ones. Look at a set at the jy and see if the bead area is corroded or not...

Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 AM

Per FIREM's comment, I have to say that I'm not that familiar with dealing with junkyards. Won't the wheels all have tires on them? I'm wondering if it would be better for me to show up unannounced, so I can see that the tires are holding air on the wheels.

(I would add that the tires on the two wheels I'm looking to replace have been flat for several months, and they are still on the vehicle. I presume that these tires are no longer any good.)

Or is it better to inspect the wheels without the tires? I guess I'm not sure how to identify corrosion on wheels. Am I looking for rust? Or pitted areas?

Any advice on dealing with jy's for wheels would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 PM

Correct me if im wrong here guys, but the chrome wheels in question are 17" wheels and the silver ones Chrysler put on where 16" wheels. Now if you have the 17" chrome wheels, which Chrysler called the "ugraded" wheels, you will have 16" brake discs. If that is the case then the 16" wheels will not fit because the calipers will hit the inside of the rim.

In order for you to use the smaller wheels you will have to change out the roters and calipers to match the 16"wheels. But like I said, I could be mistaken here. I myself have the 17" chrome wheels.