300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

odd heating issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Default odd heating issue

99 LHS just started something new. Start the car up for the warm up get car is cold, as soon as you step on the gas to go warm air begins to flow when you stop at a light cold air comes out. My ford never had a heat problem it had a defrost floor problem which was attributed to a broken vacuum hose. I have not looked at the vacuum diagram to see if this could be an issue with the chyrsler. Any ideas?

Keith

Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

check for low coolant this system will be a bit different u wil need to add water or coolant into the rad cap until it is at the vary top.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:12 PM

so how big a deal is it to change a heater core in this car, th reason I ask is my wife says she smells anti freeze once in a while and then the hot cold issue, I still have to check some external hoses to make sure thats all good.

Keith

Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

whole dash comes out then the HVAC box comes out to get to the heater core.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 AM

were these cars prone to head gasket issue, I've had no overheating but am curious.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

not many

Old 11-07-2011, 05:05 PM

How far up is your temp gauge getting?

Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 PM

i found the coolant reservoir low, so i refilled thened warmed up the car awent for a ride, heating is working just fine, temp gauge stays below halfway, found no signs of a leak anywhere, checked all hoses, radiator, saw no signs of leaks in the water pump area. After I shut the car off within about 5 minutes the coolant in the reservoir was gurgling. at first it was spilling out the over flow.
My thoughts would be a bad pressure cap or a sticking thermostat, however I would think if it were a thermostat I wouldnt have a gauge reading where it is, any ideas?

Old 11-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

is not the low coolant what I had talked about yesterday?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 AM

yes, that is what i found, what i'm trying to determine is why its low on coolant, when the engine is running all seems good when the resevoir is topped off, when you shut off the engine that is when apparently the coolant boils and overflows from the fill tank, if a head gasket is blown then I would think you get one od 2 reactions, one would be excessive steam from the exhaust, the other would be heat from the combustion chamber blowing back into the coolant system and boiling the coolant out. The problem is I cant figure out why this would only happen when the car is shut off. Thats why I was thinking possible pressure cap. I not sure on the thermostat, because it would seem that the heater wouldnt work at all( depending on where they put the heater in the system) if it were stuck.

Quick Reply: odd heating issue