300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

speedo not working, tranny in limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Default speedo not working, tranny in limp mode

I have replaced both the input and output transmission speed sensors, am getting a po0500 and a po1698 code, can someone point me in the right direction as to fix, I am at a loss, could the output sensor be defective?
Replaced it about a week ago, no problems until today, unsure why I am getting the po1698 code unless it may be a bad sensor.

Thanks again for the help in advance,
Greg

Old 09-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

what kinda car is this

Old 09-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Default tranny in limp mode

Hi Kevin,

it is a 99 Chrysler Concorde, it started after I fixed the obdII plug you sent me the diagragm of, I remember while working on that, like an idiot, forgot to take the battery connection loose before I started, heard what sounded like a fuse pop, after I finished the brake job, I took it for a test drive, noticed immediately that the speedo wasn't working, also, tranny was not shifting.

After checking fuses, I haven't found any, are there any fuses or relays that might could have blown, or is it a PCM that I messed up. Also, where is the PCM located?

I pulled the plug back out of the holder under the dash, wiggled the wires left it hanging. When I sent you the email yesterday, I said I would use zip ties to hold the plug together, but did not have any small enough. so used a small wire, fed it through the outside of the plug, after pulling it out of its holder, test drove the car, the speedo now works, but tranny still does not shift.

I went and replaced the input, and for the second time changed the output transmission speed sensor with no luck with either one.

I am stumped, don't know what to do from here, any help will be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 09-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

p1698 NO CCD/PCI BUS MESSAGE FROM TRANSMISSION CONTROL

Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Default Hi Kevin

Can you tell me what to do to fix this? Or is this something that I will not be able to do?

Thanks again for the help,
Greg

Old 09-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

check power and ground to the TCM

Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 AM

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info, I will ask one more question then leave you alone. What is the procedure for checking the TCM, I have never tried to troubleshoot power or ground issues, only replace parts. Is this something that I can do, or do I need to back up 10 yards and punt to a true professional? I don't mind trying, just not sure how to check this problem.

Also, what kind of money am I looking at if I have to take it in, if you don't mind answering, do you want to come to Huntsville, AL and fix it(LOL), I wish you were closer, you have been a big help so far.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Greg

Old 09-14-2010, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

u will need a test light or volt meter unplug the tcm connector I will get a pin out just like the DLC and then u will see what wires are power and ones are ground

Old 09-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Default pin out diagragm

Thanks Kevin, that should not be too hard, I am assuming the key should be in the on position while checking these correct?

Are there any relays or fuses that may have blown when the wires touched that could have caused the p1698 code? If so, could you tell me where and which one it could be in the box under the hood, or would they be in the fuse panel inside the car.

I do appreciate your knowledge, I will be proud if I am able to find this problem, am planning on trying to tackle this hopefully this weekend, or before if you are able to get me the info. If I can't, have talked to an auto-electric shop already, will let them figure it out and pay for their knowledge, hopefully, will not be too bad.

Thanks again for all the help,
Greg

Old 09-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Default power and ground issue

Hi Kevin,

Since I never heard back from you, I went ahead and took it to an auto electric shop, but wanted to thank you for the help you provided.

Hope you have a great rest of the weekend,
Greg

Quick Reply: speedo not working, tranny in limp mode