300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

a/t transmission not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:52 AM
Default a/t transmission not working

Hi,

I'm totally new to this forum and will post what the problem is later if we find it.Mom had several K cars that survived for years I used to keep them serviced. I was amazed.

1994 Chrysler Concord,14,000 miles no forward no reverse
car sat in neighbor's yard for a while then I got this for my daughter.
yes the family granny car luxury power everything!

this car for her school, she's going to colege in a place way far away.Other wise the car would be jacked up in the garage here at my house!

Fluid Level OK, fuses OK,

I talked with her today and she said that the electrical has been doing strange things and that on the way home the other night some lights were going out on the dash and the transmission had also been making some noise (not sure of the noise?)
Car made it home then nothing has been in the yard 1 week(?)

Well reading some recalls and some other posts on here and on the web I did find that one "possible" problem is that the wiring harness rubbing on the driveshaft.
They will check that hopefully.Can be anything and need the codes!!!!!!!!!!!!Autozone rents the scanner there I think.They need a shop though.

Although possible I would also be checking all of the connectors and othe rwires if she had some strange electrical stuff going on. Who knows maybe the battery is not clamped down.

I have been a mechanic/electrican for about 25 years and have seen some strange things causing problems.

If they can't see something obvious maybe they will take it to the shop, possibly needs a transmission rebuild but at 14K I doubt that! although again anything is possible.

There IS fluid in the transmission according to her they checked that. Mom says that it's the bands, um not correct if anything seals and clutch pack mom.
Smelling the fluid is a good idea too, will have them to to smell the fluid tomorrow!

[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Default RE: a/t transmission not working

I am a backyard mechanic, I have seen what you are decribing as the 'gauges going goofy' and certain things not working, transmission not shifting you name it, can be anything electrical, but it almost always comes back to a voltage problem, more specifically the battery. We had an Intrepid, one night my wife got in it after work, started it up the gauges flopped all over, she had no turning signals or A/C but the door locks, windows, seats all seemed to work. got it home put a new battery in it, and all was well. My neighbors Mercury minivan did something very similar. the clue is the gauges doing funky things, my personal opinion is when the battery starts to go bad sometimes they short circuit inside, thus the positive a negative sides are not isolated anymore causing wierd things to happen, also don't dismiss a new battery from being bad, everything has a failure rate even when new, batteries are no exception. Also check that the alternator is putting out the proper voltage as well as amps. If you can get it to almost any auto parts house, Auto Zone, advance Auto parts, O'reilly, NAPA they have a digital device that checks the battery, alternator and the whole charging system. of course this has been my own experience, and may not be your problem at all. Good luck

Old 12-30-2007, 05:45 PM
moe

you need to check for wires rubbing thru at the steering rack tie rods contact the harness,see picture below.its a bad picture but you have an idea.moe

Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 PM

I agree with the battery Idea, get your battery checked and probably replace it. If you haven't been getting codes, then a bad battery is probably the most likely cause.... Loose connections would probably set off a code.