300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

transmission solenoid

Old 04-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Default transmission solenoid

Hi Everyone,
I have a Chrysler 300m, and the check engine light has come on and my mechanic read the code as the transmission solenoid being the problem.They tried giving a full transmission service, but that did not help. I've read that the solenoid can be replaced w/o removing the whole transmission. Is that true? If so, how hard is to replace? Dothey need special equipment, or could anybody with a bit of car knowledge do it? I'm only asking because financially, I'm not quite in the position to pay for the part, and the labor. If it's something I can do, I would prefer to go that route.

Any ideas on how much the part goes for? I've tried searching the internet, but with no luck.

TIA,
D

Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 PM
moe
Default RE: transmission solenoid

hey skid,its not a real easy job.can be done but on a lift,it mounts on the valve body itself.heres a picture of where its located and what it looks like it's #1

Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the reply, Moe...

I guess I'll have to take it in then. Any idea about how much a job like that usually runs? Guesstimate? I really don't want to get taken...

Old 04-16-2008, 03:24 PM
moe

its about a 2-3 hour job,price of solinoid pack not to sure on.guessing....160.00 for part.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:27 PM
moe

just ask the mechanic to check for what code you have.if its p1776 your going to need to replace the entire valve body itself.and the solinoid is part of the valve body ....just double check.moe

Old 04-16-2008, 04:06 PM

thank you for the help. I truly appreciate it...

Old 04-16-2008, 06:23 PM

Well, I still haven't taken it in. The light is still on(after having been cleared twice. I want to explain how it's drivingand see what you think it might be.

When the light first came on, it dropped into second and would not shift out of it. Nothing I could do would make it shift. I tried dropping it into autostick and then it lit up the gear indicator on the dash like it was in all of them. The3 times this has happened was always after I had driven on the freeway. I have not gone on the freeway since the last time the light came on. When I started yesterday after it had sat for a couple hours, it seemed fine, though the light was still on. I have been using the autostick since then and have seen no problems yet.

The reason the codes have been cleared twice so far is because the first time my mechanic's tranny guy said the Chryslers are notorious for the transmission fluid being low(by about a quart) and to try flushing the tranny fluid and giving a full transmission service. which they did, and it was good for about 5 days. The second time it was cleared, my mechanic's partner suggested I try limited slip oil in transmission fluid, hoping that might help. He said it may take a day or 2 for that to work, thus where I am today. My mechanic was not in that day.

What do you think?

TIA,
D

Old 04-17-2008, 03:21 PM

Moe, if I do need to replace the whole valve body, any idea about how much more $$$$ I'm looking at?

Thanks again for the replies, you have been very helpful....

Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 PM

Im interested in the cost associated to this as well

Old 08-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

call around your local shops and get a price quote easy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission solenoid