300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Won't Turn Over

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Default Won't Turn Over

Hey all! Hope someone can explain. I think I shot myself in the foot on this one. Well, here's what happened.

I reinstalled my OEM Stereo Head Unit in (had been in the trunk, was a little wet). I left the car for a couple hours, and when I came back, the battery was dead. Now when I go to jump the car, it won't turn over. There's plenty of power between the two cars, it just doesn't attempt to turn over? What did I fry?

Also, where does the brake light relay live? I can't find it.

Last edited by Pause; 11-01-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:50 PM

you definitely f'd up the electrical system. take out the radio then start checkin circuits. cant help you find the relay since you dont say what kind of car you have oh and maybe the year would help too?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:44 AM

Yikes! I thought I had that info in my sig!!! Sorry :S

It's a 2000 300m, and yes, I peeled the radio out asap. So where to start checking? All fuses look in good order, including the batch under the hood.. wouldn't a fuse have blown?

About the relay.. i'm 99% sure I'll find it by the main fuse panel, I just haven't had time to peel apart the dash to get to the relays. Was hoping you could take the mystery out.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pause
Yikes! I thought I had that info in my sig!!! Sorry :S

It's a 2000 300m, and yes, I peeled the radio out asap. So where to start checking? All fuses look in good order, including the batch under the hood.. wouldn't a fuse have blown?

About the relay.. i'm 99% sure I'll find it by the main fuse panel, I just haven't had time to peel apart the dash to get to the relays. Was hoping you could take the mystery out.
why waste your time with the brake lights when the car doesn't turn over. so do you have any power to anything?

Old 11-07-2009, 08:34 AM

Well.. about the brake lights, I intend to have this car road worthy eventually.. might as well attack all the problems now, right? lol

Yes I have power, all the lights come on fine after I charge, or if i hook up to another car, all the bells ding, its just that when I turn the key instead of the usual clickclickclickclickclick, I turn the key and get 1 click, then nothing....... All the interior lights are still bright as can be.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:40 PM

Check the starter relay, also check for corrosion in the starter circuit. That can be pretty insidious. A connection can look fine but have enough corrosion to prevent starter current from flowing but allow low current to flow to power the lights.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:18 AM

I can hear the relay fluttering along when I turn the key, and the Fuse looks in order like the rest. What's the likelihood that this could be releated to the key id chip recognition?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

fact clicks or a single click with each turn of the key to try and start?
the chip key would have nothing to do with what U did unless u blew and IOD fuse. But according to yourself U have looked at them all.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:56 AM

No no no.. sorry.. That's confusing. The starter relay clicks when i turn the key.. but I had to stand over the engine to hear it... When I try to start the car, all I hear from the passenger compartment is one click. I turn and hold the key, CLICK nothing, turn the key and hold, CLICK.... nothing... Why doesn't it attempt to fire? The starter, right?

Old 11-08-2009, 03:10 PM

It doesn't attempt to start because something is wrong. How many actual volts do you have at the battery? have you tried to bypass the starter relay (never mind... I don't think you'd know how to do that)

Quick Reply: Won't Turn Over