Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Want to add aux in to my radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Default Want to add aux in to my radio

I have several head units, both regular Dodge and Chrysler Infinity, for my two minivans (1992 Town & Country, 1995 Grand Caravan). I have notorious difficulty with the tape units dying on these. I listen to my mp3 player using a cassette adapter. I would like to modify one of these radios to use an aux input. The normally available inputs require a CD changer head unit, which I do not have, so I would need to wire it in to the unit itself.

Can someone point me to a tutorial or a how-to to modify one of these?
Ideally I'd like to use the Infinity radio.
Part# P04704353
Issue 1 RAY INFINITY
Date Code 1005 Supplier 07910
It has an 8-pin DIN connector on the back, and next to that is a small rectangular 2-pin connector.

My T&C Infinity Radio looks like this:
http://replacementradios.com/images/...te_radio_2.jpg
The rest of my radios look like
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/S6300847.jpg
(These are not my photos, just using as examples)

Old 05-16-2010, 12:48 AM
Talking

Seems after two years of trying to figure this out, Oklahoma Wolf over at the turbododge forums has done it (apprently two years ago!). It works on any Infinity I, II, or III head unit with a CD changer plug on it (does not need specific CD controls). They note that newer models have to same type plug, but a different pinout, so this particular method will not work with Infinity IV or newer.

This is an 8 pin DIN connector you can often find at electronics supply stores. Same connector as Alpine uses for M-Bus. Pin 8 must be shorted to ground to mute the tuner/cassette and switch to the connector inputs. I use a switch connected between pins 8 and 3 to do this (you can also ground out pin 8 to the metal connector sleeve itself). The audio input pins are self explanatory - I use pin 2 for the common signal ground.
It's at www(dot)turbododge(dot)com/forums/f4/f21/201929-adding-aux-port-91-infinity-head.html

He includes a pinout diagram of the port in question.

Waiting for my parts to come in so I can *finally* rig this up!

Old 05-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Talking

Got my parts, had a few issues. For some reason Pin 3 was not providing adequate ground. I tried it both as the Aux ground (radio would switch back to regular radio any time there was a change in current, like turning on blinkers, headlights, etc) and the audio input ground (nasty engine electric noise in the audio). I ended up grounding the switch to the sleeve. Since then, it works great. The only other issue I'm having is getting the 12V LED on my switch to light. I think it's an issue with the way the switch wants power to flow?

Aside from that, it works fantastic!