Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Heard you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in and read the latest from Chrysler.

40+ cars that barely avoid the gas guzzler tax

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:08 PM
IB Staff
Default 40+ cars that barely avoid the gas guzzler tax

Filed under: Convertible, Coupe, Sedan, Performance, Wagon, Government/Legal, Audi, Bentley, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Hyundai, Jaguar, Lexus, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Luxury

The Gas Guzzler schedule, with mpg ratings and charges that haven't changed since 1991, lays out which fuel-swillers owe what to Uncle Sam.

I started thinking about the "Gas Guzzler Tax" - considerably less well known as The Energy Tax Act of 1978 - when I was driving Dodge's new Challenger SRT Hellcat last week. Unsurprisingly for a car that can burn 1.5 gallons of gas per minute at max tilt, theoretically able to empty a full tank of premium in about 13 minutes, the Hellcat will be subject to the Gas Guzzler Tax schedule when it goes on sale.

Beyond knowing that it existed, and occasionally seeing a surcharge for it listed on the specification sheet for a press car I'd been loaned, I didn't really understand how the GGT worked or was calculated.

Thankfully, the Environmental Protection Agency makes learning about the GGT (and a lot of other stuff) pretty simple. EPA.gov has a clearly written explanation of the tax and the tax schedule. That schedule, operating with miles-per-gallon ratings and charges that haven't changed since 1991, clearly lays out which fuel-swillers owe what to Uncle Sam. Basically, if a car's combined fuel economy rating is 22.5 mpg or higher it's off the hook ­- trucks, minivans and SUVs are all exempt from the GGT - if the rating is lower, per vehicle taxes range from $1,000 to $7,700 for the very thirstiest.

Simple, right?Continue reading 40+ cars that barely avoid the gas guzzler tax

40+ cars that barely avoid the gas guzzler tax originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 24 Jul 2014 12:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...