Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Heard you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in and read the latest from Chrysler.

Biden touts Detroit's resurgence in Motor City appearance

Old 01-16-2014, 06:39 PM
IB Staff
Default Biden touts Detroit's resurgence in Motor City appearance

Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, Government/Legal, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Celebrities

The downside of being the Vice President of the United States, Joe Biden says, is that he's not allowed to drive anymore.

A chauffer might suit most politicians just fine, but for the son of a car dealer, such restrictions are grating. His 1967 Chevy Corvette, a wedding gift from his dad, sits idled in a garage. As a Christmas gift last year, his kids had the engine repaired and the clutch fixed, which makes it a particularly tempting ride.

"There was one point, I said to my Secret Service agent, 'Either get in the passenger seat with me or shoot me,'" Biden said Thursday morning in Detroit, before adding, "I shouldn't be saying this probably."

His long-running passion for cars and the auto industry was evident during an appearance at the North American International Auto Show. The vice president detailed his favorite articles in Motor Trend and Car and Driver, fondly recalled the '51 Chevy Bel Air and Pontiac Tempest of his youth and then toured the show floor with the CEOs of the major domestic automakers and sat in dozens of new models on display.

Oh, and Biden also found time to deliver a speech that hailed the resurrection the American auto industry and domestic manufacturing. It was clear the vice president, whose father owned two General Motors dealerships, wasn't only talking about fiscal health, but the reinvention of the vehicles themselves.Continue reading Biden touts Detroit's resurgence in Motor City appearance

Biden touts Detroit's resurgence in Motor City appearance originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...