Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Heard you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in and read the latest from Chrysler.

Chrysler to develop Fiat 500EV

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Cool Chrysler to develop Fiat 500EV

The Chrysler Group LLC has announced that it will use the Fiat 500 platform to develop and produce a pure electric vehicle. The Fiat 500EV, shown at the 2010 North American International Auto Show, is already a product of the recently formed Alliance between Chrysler Group and the Fiat Group.

“The alliance with Fiat presented new opportunities to merge Chrysler Group engineering knowledge with new platforms and the Fiat 500EV is an outstanding example of our efforts,” said Scott Kunselman, Senior Vice President Engineering—Chrysler Group LLC. “The Fiat 500 is a small, lightweight platform perfect for integrating electric-vehicle technology.”

The Fiat 500EV engine will feature a high power electric powertrain module, advance lithium ion battery, and an EV control unit to manage power flows. The pure-electric vehicle should start being produced by Chrysler for the American market in the beginning of 2012, with all the powertrain engineering and vehicle development taking place Auburn Hills, Michigan.

In the Chrysler/Fiat Alliance the American group has assumed responsibilities for the vehicle electrification. Chrysler has been investigating forms of zero-emission transportation promotion and the development of an electric-vehicle charging infrastructure.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:38 AM

This should have been started long ago; right now, it just feels anachronistic. This kind of technology had long ago been stabilized and commercially viable; why didn't they start this when it's not a bit too late? It's probably because of the market; people were still wary about it and right now may have only been the opportune time.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:41 PM

Somehow, I can't imagine sitting in a battery powered car, stuck in traffic in a winter snowstorm. How long is this battery going to last running the lights, heater, wipers, defroster and radio? Not long enough, I gare-un-tee.

Every single rechargeable battery powered gizmo I've ever owned has killed its battery within 4 or five years. Anybody want to pony up $15,000 for a new battery pack for your EV?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Somehow, I can't imagine sitting in a battery powered car, stuck in traffic in a winter snowstorm. How long is this battery going to last running the lights, heater, wipers, defroster and radio? Not long enough, I gare-un-tee.

Every single rechargeable battery powered gizmo I've ever owned has killed its battery within 4 or five years. Anybody want to pony up $15,000 for a new battery pack for your EV?
And the range is too short. Sounds like hybrids are the way to go.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by CarsMakeLove
This should have been started long ago; right now, it just feels anachronistic. This kind of technology had long ago been stabilized and commercially viable; why didn't they start this when it's not a bit too late? It's probably because of the market; people were still wary about it and right now may have only been the opportune time.
Some years ago people weren't ready to spend more money on a car...even if it was greener...many "eco"-brain-wash had to be done before the brands were able to forecast a profitable investment.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 AM

Chrysler Group produce battery electric vehicle using fial 500.But this cat will come in US market in begining of the year 2012.It has main three system:high power electric powertrain module,advanced lithium-ion battery,an EV control unit to manage power flows.