Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Heard you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in and read the latest from Chrysler.

New Fiat 500

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Default New Fiat 500

I've seen a few of the new Fiat 500's driving around here out in northern Illinois, so I went to their web site to see what they cost and what's available on them.

To be honest..., I think that Fiat has priced them at least a $1000 or so too high! Once past the sales to those who just have to have the latest fad toy, I don't see their value when compared to other small cars.

Last year I bought my wife a 2010 Honda Fit, and she loves it. At that time, I had read rumors about Fiat bringing their 500 model to the US and I was tempted to wait and see, but now I'm glad I didn't wait. When you compare the reputation of a Honda, (whether it's completely deserved or not), to the reputation that Fiat has, I just don't see how it's going to compete without Fiat giving tons of incentives to buyers.

The Fit is definitely not in the same comfort class as my 2011 T&C Touring-L, but for her, it's perfect. It's also selling for about $500 less than the Fiat, and that includes a no-cost 5-speed auto or a 5-speed manual if you want. It's also got a ton more standard equipment and it's got much more room in it than the Fiat has.

I'm old enough to remember when Fiats were sold in the US and how they had to turn tail and withdraw due to the terrible quality of their cars. (Now that they own Chrysler, I hope they don't turn them into domestic Fiats!) I'm also old enough to remember when the phrase, 'made in Japan', was just another way of saying, 'it's a cheaply made piece of junk'.

Could anyone put the Fit and the 500 side by side, and for the price they're asking for them, honestly say they would rather have the Fiat? Throw the small Toyota's and Nissan's into the mix, and I think Fiat has a steep hill to climb!

I tried to steer my wife to a domestic car, perhaps waiting for the Ford Fiesta that was just about to come out, (except I don't think I could have made the same deal on a new Fiesta that I got from the Honda dealer), and at that time, she just didn't like any of the smaller Chrysler vehicles and although we looked at a Chevy Aveo...., we both thought was a piece of junk!

I actually got a pretty good deal on the Fit, although I'm definitely not the best at dealing and dickering on new cars. After a short time, I think Fiat dealers are going to have to start giving big discounts to move all that many of the 500 models.

Now..., I haven't actually driven one of the 500's. Is there anyone who can comment on if they really are up to competing with the Honda's and Toyota's, not to mention the new small Fords?