Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

01 Sebring A/C and Cooling Fans

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Default 01 Sebring A/C and Cooling Fans

I have a 2001 Sebring V6 3.0L that recently began blowing warm air from all vents. I charged the a/c with freon and it worked fine for about a week. Now I have cool air (not cold) coming from the 2 driver side vents and warm air coming from the 3 passenger side vents. This car does not have dual controls for a/c so I am puzzled. The fuses are good. I bought another can of freon with UV leak detector, but I just put that in about 30 minutes ago, so no visibility on that just yet.

On to the issue with the cooling fans... I have had a lot of problems with this car overheating. First I replaced a broken thermostat, then a broken radiator cap. I am still overheating when idle for any amount of time. I noticed that my fans are not kicking in unless I turn on my a/c or heat. The fuses are good so I'm not sure where to look next.

Any help provided is much appreciated. Please let me know if more information is needed.

Thank you!!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:52 PM

There can be many causes of overheating including low coolant, improper coolant, defective or improper radiator cap, externally or internally clogged radiator, blown head gasket, improper fan operation, thermostat, etc., etc. In an eleven-year-old car, it could be any one thing or a combination of things.
Fan operation is controlled by the computer and is somewhat complex. If they come on at least sometimes you can obviously rule out fuses or bad fan motors.
If the A/C system is leaking freon but you can't see where it's coming out, then there's a chance it's leaking from the evaporator core inside the heater housing. That involves removing the dash and is a big job, not related to your cooling problems. Don't add too much freon or you'll create more problems. The only way to know if there's the correct amount of refrigerant is to pump it all out and add the correct amount back in.
Is your car a coupe? If so, it was built by Mitsubishi. It's basically the same car as the Eclipse. If you need service or advice, find somebody who specializes in those brands.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:28 AM

Thanks for your response dcotter... Yes, my car is a coupe. Since I have taken care of almost everything involving the radiator and coolant system, I'm assuming it is just an issue with the fans. But that's where I get stuck.

For the A/C, I will need to wait to see if I can locate a leak with the UV freon I added. Though I'm not sure how long that stuff takes to work...

Thanks again