Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

'01 Sebring and P0782

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Question '01 Sebring and P0782

Today got the P0782 error. Almighty Google says its:

This P0782 code indicates that the 2-3 shift valve in the valve body is locked in the direction of the spring compression.

As I start driving I only got 2000 RPM, even if I push pedal to the floor. Cleared the error and everything was fine for couple of minutes while was testdriving, RPMs and speed normal. Then left the car for couple of hours and then had to move it for 50 m and again got the same error and max 2000 RPM. Could you guess what to expect ? Now thinking - it might be as simple as low transmission fluid level? Will check that tomorrow... But any chance that the malfunction is more serious ?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Yeah, it could be more serious. But see if you can fix it by taking care of the inexpensive and maintenance items first. When was the last time the transmission fluid was changed? If the answer is "never" or "I have no idea", then deal with that. These transmissions are sensitive to bad/wrong fluid so get that right.
A proper transmission shop can do an electronic and pressure diagnosis which will be closer to the truth than any guesses you get over the internet.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 AM

Maintenance was done if I remember correctly in April. Changed the fluid... Dont know the details because it was done in transmission service center. Only thing is that they said its impossible to easily change the oil filter as it is somewhere deep, so only the fluid was changed. Well, now going to check the fluid level, then we'll see.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Some transmission service center that was. To change the filter, you must remove the pan from the bottom of the transmission. Would take about 10 minutes of working slowly. It's the standard method of changing the fluid because there's no drain plug. They may have "changed" the fluid by sucking some out of the fill tube. Hopefully they put the correct type of fluid back in.
Anyway, if it's not the fluid, it might be something more serious. Don't go back to that shop.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 AM

Yeah, hard to find a good service center... Got to do everything myself. Checked the fluid level - with cold engine its somewhere around hot level lowest position. Might be too much. Damn. And the filter is also not changed... Tomorrow will try to do the change by myself. So, to be sure what to do - need to take the transmission oil pan, and will find the filter there ? Replace the filter, fill up the fluid and thats it?

Old 10-02-2012, 10:24 AM

There has been some discussion here on the forum about changing the filter, it's a relatively easy job. If you have doubts, buy a Haynes manual and look it up.
You'll need a big basin or something to catch the fluid when you remove the pan. It can get pretty messy.
Buy the filter and gasket as a kit at the parts store.
Clean the magnet in the bottom of the pan and put it back where it was. It'll look all fuzzy with metal shavings. Clean all the old sealant off the pan and mating surface.
You won't be getting all the fluid because much of it will stay in the torque converter and elsewhere in the trans and drip out very slowly while you work. My recollection was that only about 5 or 6 quarts will come out. You can get more by running the engine and pumping it out but have somebody there to shut it down the instant it stops coming out.
Don't overtighten the screws when putting back together.
Trans fluid is very "clingy" and if you spill some onto other things it will take a long time to drip down. You may see a drop or two on the driveway days after you finish this project. That doesn't neccessarily mean you have a leak.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:46 AM

Thanks friend, that was helpful. Will try to do and post some pics when changing oil and filter.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 AM

Sad morning today... Got another code - P1751... What is it about ?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:30 AM

Chm... can it be because this car was not used for several months ? maybe it just got stuck or something and need to drive it to have the AT working correctly ? Now as it shifts from P to D or R it does it... How to say.. Strong maybe, even with break pedal pushed to the floor I feel the strong punch to the shipting direction (P or R). Guys, you have the local market there in US, could you check what would be the price for used but in good condition or overhauled AT ? Would be nice with shipping to Lithuania, city Kaunas... I am thinking about purchasing AT

Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 AM

Before you replace the transmission, try replacing the solenoid pack. They can be found for less than $100 on the internet and it's an easy repair. Search the forum and the internet for more info.

Quick Reply: '01 Sebring and P0782