Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

02 Sebring with DTC 77 & persistent airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Default 02 Sebring with DTC 77 & persistent airbag light

Hello,

I recently bought a 2002 Sebring convertible with multiple problems. Among them, the car had been in a minor front end collision but I was told the airbag did not deploy. At this point I have repaired every problem with the exception of whatever is causing the airbag light to remain on. Also, I hear a single chime about 20 seconds after the ingition switch is activated.

I have replaced the clockspring with a new unit and the seatbelt retractors seem to be fine. My Innova 3160 scanner initally read the SRS DTCs: 09, 64, 63, and 77.

I was able to erase all of the stored SRS DTCs; however 77 reappears immediately.

Although the scanner does not have a description of 77 in its database, the Innova website describes DTC 77 as: "Speed control power relay circuit problem (Cars 1991-97) (Trucks/Vans/Jeeps 1997)"

Does anyone else have experience with this same problem or better knowledge of DTC 77? The Innova website does not distinguish between DTCs, so it's very possible that there is more than one DTC 77 for Chryser products.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciate because I cannot get the car through State Inspection. Without inspection, I cannot register it, and without registration I cannot legally drive it anywhere to have someone else look at it.

I have a spare Occupant Restraint Module (ORC) from a non-wrecked donor which I may try as a last resort.

Thank you in advance.

-John

Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

never heard of such an issue I would let some one with a better scanner that has the data base in there already pull the codes

Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 AM

Thank you CHRYSLER TECH. I'll have to find somebody that makes housecalls. Either that or I'll just donate it to charity.

After reading many tech sites, it seems as though the airbag light staying on is a very common problem with Chrysler Sebrings. In my case it wasn't the clock spring, seat belt retractors, or a problem that goes away when the seat is moved back and forth.

I've also read there's an engine design flaw that kills many of the 2.7L Sebrings before they reach 100K miles.

Seems like these issues are so abundant that they should have prompted Manufacturer recalls.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:52 PM

Code 77 relating to the speed control system is an old OBD I code that is totally irrelevant to your vehicle. That's a powertrain problem in OBD I cars. Your car has an OBD II system. Powertrain problems have codes in the format "Pnnn", where nnnn represents a four-digit number.
Problems with the SRS (airbag) should be read using Chrysler's DRB III (diagnostic readout box) scanner. Don't be too quick to blame the design or manufacture of the vehicle for problems after a wreck. There could have been some wiring damage or something else that has been overlooked. It could be the seat belt retractors. While they may seem "fine" to your inspection, they contain a pyrotechnical (explosive) device that may have fired in the impact.
There's an error code in there that is waiting to be read. It is there for the purpose of guiding you to the proper repair. There's no point in guessing and throwing parts at the car while the information for a proper repair sits there.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the background information on the Code and for the advice dcotter0579. You're absolutely right, I've known for weeks that I'm wasting my time unless I have access to a DRB III. Admittedly, it's very frustrating for me because while I can repair just about anything on a vehicle, I'm blind without the ~ $3K DRB III.

Concerning the seat belt retractors, I have a pair of known good ones. It's really not the clock spring, retractors, or under-the-seat wiring (the common issues). It's probably a wiring problem or the ORC, but then I'm done guessing.

Thank you,
John