Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

'02 Sebring LXI and Aftermarket Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 04:34 AM
Default '02 Sebring LXI and Aftermarket Head Unit

Hi, im a first time poster here and looking for some advice.
Im trying to install a Sony headunit on my 2002 Sebring LXI Coupe with the Inifinity Premium Sound Package. Ive gone through 3 different wiring harness kits, but no matter what my speakers go haywire and the headunit overheats after being on for like 10-30seconds. I even had a buddy look at it who has installed many sound systems in cars and he couldnt figure it out either, At first he thought it was the amp so he disconnected it and it still did it, then we tried different grounding. After no luck he spliced some wires and stuff to push more power to the headunit and it held the speaks from going haywire for like an extra 10 or so seconds.From what im getting as I read around different places is that Im going to have to re-wire the whole car with new speakers and amps, all I want is just an MP3/ATRAC capable headunit. Anyone have some advice for me please?

Old 05-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: '02 Sebring LXI and Aftermarket Head Unit

well over heating from an electeral side is to many amps going though a wire. SO your head unit might be drawing to many amps and thats your over heat. internal short who knows. Brand new unit or took one out of your other car? New unit try to get another look at the stuff u changed first. If the wires were an issue not big enough then the wires would be the one over heating not your unit.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:31 AM
Default RE: '02 Sebring LXI and Aftermarket Head Unit

Allright, any nicer Infinity systems are like this. Think of the old unit (factory) as a set of front and rear preamp outs, like the ones you use for an amp on a aftermarket cd player.. Ok, heres the thing, the wires for your old unit go to a factory installed amp. The factory unit is just like a cd discman would be hooked up to a amp, a set of low powered preouts. So, basically, I did this in a 91 Sunbird with the tiny radio on the dash, rewired my own wires to the door speakers and thre rear deck. That will be your only solution, other then finding the amp that is factory, and meeting up with the wires on the output of the amp and bypass it.