Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

04 Sebring Convertible 2.7 intermittent rough start

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 03:25 PM
Cool 04 Sebring Convertible 2.7 intermittent rough start

118,*** miles. Just started having a rough start intermittently. Sometimes first start of day, but also after having driven for a while. I am guilty of idling for periods of time and wondering if this could be causing this sometimes. Have not had a tune up since bought almost a year ago (18,000 miles appx July-April). Some thoughts and suggestions I have had: Spark plugs? Air cleaner? Trying to be proactive on this as I drive A LOT for work.

Any suggestions, known issues, etc appreciated. (Smog due in July). No codes come up. No check engine light.

Otherwise runs fine. Had a mechanic tell me “sounds good” in a casual conversation, nothing car related.???

Old 04-10-2021, 07:58 PM

Is it only rough when idling or while driving?

I would suggest adding a bottle of Techron to the gas tank at your next fill. Techron is a very good fuel system cleaner (actually mentioned by Chrysler) and will clean up any deposits on the injectors. Make sure you use the 20 oz bottle and not the 12 oz bottle to get the proper concentration of Techron.

If you do not know when the air filter was last changed, I would suggest it be replaced.

The spark plugs should be changed out at 100,000 miles but should still be ok. If you do change out the plugs, I would recommend that only the oem plugs be used.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ggoose
Is it only rough when idling or while driving?

I would suggest adding a bottle of Techron to the gas tank at your next fill. Techron is a very good fuel system cleaner (actually mentioned by Chrysler) and will clean up any deposits on the injectors. Make sure you use the 20 oz bottle and not the 12 oz bottle to get the proper concentration of Techron.

If you do not know when the air filter was last changed, I would suggest it be replaced.

The spark plugs should be changed out at 100,000 miles but should still be ok. If you do change out the plugs, I would recommend that only the oem plugs be used.

Thanks so much for the input, greatly appreciated! it doesn’t run rough at all while driving or idling, only the rough starting.. 2-3 seconds of cranking and have to give it a little gas. I did use some Lucas gas treatment, use it somewhat regularly.

any idea on how tough the spark plugs in the back side are to get to/out? Haven’t even looked yet. But I’d put a couple bucks at least one will give me a rough time, maybe not but....

thanks again

Old 04-11-2021, 02:36 PM

I had a similar problem with my '01 2.7L convertible. I swapped out the fuel pump relay and the problem went away. Look in the fuse box under the hood. The underside of the cover tells what's what in there.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:20 PM

The intermittent rough idle may be due to a sticking IAC (Idle Air Control). I have not had much success cleaning it and have found replacing it is the only reliable fix.

For the rear spark plugs, I used a 3/8" ratchet, 2- 2" extensions, and a spark plug socket. It was a bit of a pain due to the limited space as I needed to hold the socket in the hole while attaching the first 2" extension. Holding the first 2" extension added the second 2" extension to get the socket down to the plug and then attach the ratchet.

I also found a 1/4" ratchet worked better than a wrench to remove the coil screws. There is enough flex in the coil tube to get in/out of the spark plug hole.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:09 PM
Default Thanks All

Fuel pump....runs like a champ now!! But...

I am getting this low deep tone that almost sounds like an exhaust leak. But my ISO says nothing to worry about, you'd hear it outside more....(said the same thing about not changing my belt when I had to put a new alternator in, and the oil I'm starting to see around a (valve plug??)...always "nothing to worry about...I like to be proactive!!)

Mostly hear it when top is up, seems to be getting a little louder and dmotor definitely did not sound like this before???

Old 05-30-2021, 09:30 AM

If you suspect an exhaust leak, have it checked by someone else, other than the guy you seem not to trust. The car is now 17 years old, over two-thirds of the way to antique status. It would not be the least bit unusual to have developed an exhaust leak by this time. It's virtually impossible to diagnose strange noises over the internet, so your guess is probably as good or better than anyone else's here.