Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

05 Sebring starts with camshaft unplugged

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Default 05 Sebring starts with camshaft unplugged

2005 Sebring 2.7l engine

Bought the car from individual who stated camshaft/crankshaft sensors where to be replaced in order to start, replaced them and it would start but very rough and eventually dies, won't rev past 2500rpm's, won't start or will have a very hard time starting with camshaft plugged in, it will start and idle with it unplugged.

Tore into it to find out the engine was freshly rebuilt or replaced, everything looks brand new, super clean inside. Timed it correctly lining up the marks and still same problem.

Searched and found out the cam timing wheel could be wrong, order one from Oreilley's, same as the one in the car ( with arrow as a timing mark, windows etc ) ... the car is supposed to be a NGC according to my search, PCM uses 4 plugs.

Called dealership, give them vin # and they tell me part # for the cam wheel is 4792305 which corresponds to the SBEC wheel as far as I can tell, order it through Oreilley's, installed it and the car started at first and idled so so, still won't rev past 2500, shut it off, try to restart it and back to square 1, won't start unless camshaft sensor unplugged.

Camshaft and crank sensor are new.

I have done the timing 3 times now, every time same result, I even checked and made sure the secondary chains were timed correctly, what else could it be?

I already contacted the dealership and verified the PCM is the correct one for the car.

Only thing I can think of now is that the flex plate is the wrong one for the car? Can the car start with the wrong flex plate and camshaft sensor unplugged?

Running out of options, don't know what else it can be.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:15 PM

This is what dealer said came with my car, got this from Oreilly's.

This is what was installed on the car when I got it, same as I got from Oreilly's the first time.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

not the same look the the slots they are in different positions and numbered different.
To the right of the triangle U have 3 slots the right on the other one U have 1 slot
there are 2 different tone wheels because the computer setup was changed in mid year 2002.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:46 PM

yes, none of them work though, if I go by what the dealership told me, the first one is the correct one for my car, so what else could it be?

this last time I checked the timing marks would line up, it took about 42 rotations for them to line up again

do you think the car would start if it had the wrong flex plate on? or do you think since it starts with the camshaft unplugged, this is cam tone wheel / timing related?

Old 04-25-2012, 05:51 PM

P0344 camshaft sensor
P0700 Transmission malfunction

These are the 2 codes I'm getting if it helps

Thanks in advance

Old 04-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

72 rotations will make then marks line up visit a junk yard and get a tone wheel off the same car year did u use the flex plate off old engine or new one?

Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 PM

You got to check the number of teeth on each sprocket, cam shaft and crank. 2 crankshaft rotation should equal one cam shaft rotation. If you took out the crank or cam shaft sprocket sensor you need to have the correct spacing when you reinstall them. If you use some grease on the end of the sensors and cut out a piece of match book cover this will give you the proper sensor to flex plate and cam tone ring spacing.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
72 rotations will make then marks line up visit a junk yard and get a tone wheel off the same car year did u use the flex plate off old engine or new one?
I bought the car this way, don't have access to any of the old parts, I'm wondering if the dealer gave me the part # and it corresponds to the first cam sprocket pictured, then it should be correct? I did give them the vin # .. I'm just confused because reading thru some threads, searching and all, the second picture it's supposed to be a NGC cam sprocket .......

Speaking of flex plate, will the car start with a wrong flex plate and no camshaft signal?

Originally Posted by allenw62
You got to check the number of teeth on each sprocket, cam shaft and crank. 2 crankshaft rotation should equal one cam shaft rotation. If you took out the crank or cam shaft sprocket sensor you need to have the correct spacing when you reinstall them. If you use some grease on the end of the sensors and cut out a piece of match book cover this will give you the proper sensor to flex plate and cam tone ring spacing.
2 crank rotations equal 1 camshaft rotation in my case so I'm sure I'm good there, unless I need to replace all the gears ?

I will try the matchbox spacing as soon as I figure out which tone wheel I'm supposed to have :-S

Thanks guys

P.D. Does the flex plate need to be aligned a certain way or will it have a guide on it? and which is supposed to be for my year car? 13 or 32 window?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:14 AM

I have a junk engine in pieces in the garage I will count the teeth from each sprocket. I would think for the numbers to work the cam sprockets would have twice as many teeth as the crank

Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by allenw62
I have a junk engine in pieces in the garage I will count the teeth from each sprocket. I would think for the numbers to work the cam sprockets would have twice as many teeth as the crank
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case for me since they line up perfectly every 2 rotations.

I think they installed a timing kit as the cam sprockets look fairly new as well, the only thing I see that wasn't changed is the crank gear, but seems to be in good condition and lines up perfectly with the other ones.

Quick Reply: 05 Sebring starts with camshaft unplugged