Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

1996 sebring jxi problems

Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1996 sebring jxi problems

ok well take off the throtle body and repalce the IAC motor U have 2 or more issues going on get it to idle then go from there.
Did the idle issue just start or did it take a little while to be real bad?

Old 03-20-2007, 02:01 AM

Ok now I have a cylinder 2 misfire. Is this the top left one to the passenger side?

Firewall
2 4 6
1 3 5
Radiator

Old 03-20-2007, 02:09 AM

It takes a while to get bad, like after it gets out of the warm up loop and goes to normal driving mode using the o2 sensors I believe.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:32 AM

Will this IAC work? Thinking about doing the spark plug wires too. The idle was bad before doing the autolite double platinums but i hadn't got a check engine light before though...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMP-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-20-2007, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

well from what u just said u did a bad thing by putting auto lite plugs in only run champon plugs in there the auto lite will cause some probs like your misfires. The wires are only a maintance issue wont make the idle any better. Did u use the break cleaner like i asked? U say it runs ok untill it warmes up right??? if thats the case then u ahve some sorta sensor or motor not doings its job. a vac leak will be at any time while running. warm or cold. give me all the facts at one time so i can make a better educated guess on whats going on ALL INFO u have from what u have done to what u have checked out and the specs u checked them out for ok. All this is doing so far is making u run around all over and me as well

Old 03-20-2007, 04:20 AM

Ok:

1st Rough idle that goes up and down after the car has ran for like five minutes

2nd We changed the spark plugs and now is giving a check engine light for random misfires and misfires in cylinder 2

I have not been able to use the brake cleaner yet because i have school during the week and can't get to my parents till at least thursday.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

the rough idle has it ever set a check engine light b4?? how long was it doing this b4 the u messed with it??

Old 03-20-2007, 04:10 PM

I don't think it has ever had a check engine light before. It has had a rough idle i think for the last year my sister said.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

ok then the idle prob is the real issue u caused the missfire by doing some work to it with the plugs and taking off the intake fix the missfire then work on the idle. Go back and erplace the plugs with champion OE plugs and relook over what ever u took off and messed with. Once that is done then we can work on the idle issue. Do not unplug your battery u will cause more probs then u think u will be fixing. The check engein light will go out by itself with 3 good trips or no missfires while at idle for 4 min or more then turn off the car restart it and do that 2 more times and the light will go out if things are ok. If u cear the codes u will erase all info that has to do with your idle prob and then u will haft to relearn the computer inorder for u to correctly fix the prob.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:51 PM

Ok played with it today. I tried disconnecting the tps and iac see if it did anything because on Ls1 chevy's the computer will run fine if the sensor is sending a bad value and you disconect it, so no luck.

I played with it some more and noticed the idle is only bad with the a/c on and the electric fan on. Just one and not the other and it doesn't give the problem it seems. The a/c blows really cold and I don't have a multimeter till thursday to check with, so I'm guessing either the a/c is going bad or the alternator.

The check engine light hasn't cleared, but it only flashed at me once in the drivethru the other day and it seems it only came on because the rpms got to like 400rpm causing the misfire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 sebring jxi problems