Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

1999 Sebring Coupe (LXI) AC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 09:14 AM
Default 1999 Sebring Coupe (LXI) AC Problem

I have an air conditioning problem. I've been doing a lot of searching to try to figure out what the problem is. Here's the problem, the air conditioning is barely is blowing cold air. It is charged and the compressor is turning on. From what I've been reading the blend door actuator may be the problem. I don't have a repair manual, but apparently some cars have the ability to recalibrate itself. For the Sebring I've read different things. I've kept my searches between 1997 and 2000 since I think it would be the same for mine. Anyone know if it is possible to recalibrate it? One post (on another site) said it's manual calibration and you have to rip apart the dash where the radio is, and another one I think said pull out the m1 fuse for 10 minutes, but I'm having trouble locating that post again (I'm not sure if it was on here or another site) and I'm not sure what year that was for.

I've had the car since 2009 but have put only 9k miles on it (I work from home). The air conditioner worked well but a couple years ago stopped blowing as cold. Then last year it wasn't blowing cold at all. As it is right now it's only slightly better than having the windows down in AZ's hot weather. I'm trying to sell the car so I'm trying to figure out if there's a quick fix to this since I don't think this problem is helping.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:00 AM

An air conditioning system is quite complicated. There are a number of things that could be wrong with it. You say that the system is charged. How do you know that? The only way to be sure is to remove all the refrigerant that is in there and put back exactly the correct amount. You need proper equipment to do that. Too much or too little will not allow the system to operate properly.
The compressor could have a problem, the expansion valve could be plugged, the system could be contaminated after 17 years, and yes, it's even possible that the blend door is not properly functioning. Be aware that your coupe was built by Mitsubishi and that much of the stuff you might encounter on line could pertain to sedans and convertibles which were built by Chrysler and are very different vehicles.
There's probably not a quick fix. A good A/C shop should be able to run some diagnostic tests and provide you with a repair estimate. Be cautious of anyone who thinks he has all the answers without running any tests.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:15 AM

I connected a refrigerant can with a gauge on it and according to the directions on the can it was where it was supposed to be.

What I'm asking about is if anyone knows if there's a way to have the car itself recalibrate the blend door. Since I don't have the repair manual I'm not sure if there really is a way for the car to do it itself or if it is indeed a manual process. Anything beyond that isn't something I plan on doing. I would take it to a repair shop but that would be burning money since I doubt I'll get it back out of the car when I sell it.